Another question from a newbie runner doing her first 5K this weekend

PamelaDV
on 5/19/09 1:26 am - Apex, NC
OK - I feel really ready for my first 5K this weekend.  I'm comfortably doing about 3.5 miles without stopping.  I can do 4 miles, but it's pushing it yet for me.

My question has to do with the days leading up to the race.  When is it a good idea to have my rest days?  I have currently run 4 days in a row and was thinking today would be a good rest day, but I want to time my rest before the race correctly.  My race is Saturday at 5pm.

If I rest today - should I rest again on Friday?  Or since the race isn't until 5pm on Saturday - should I not rest on Friday?

Also - since the race is not until 5pm on Saturday - should I be eating carbs for lunch? or for breakfast?  

Thanks everyone!

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

kypdurran
on 5/19/09 1:31 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Pamela.   Tapering a day before your race is probably a good idea.   I wouldn't do any speed workouts the day before but it may help you to get out and walk or go for a light jog to keep your muscles loose.

Pasta the night before or for breakfast would be a good idea.  

Best of luck at your race! 

Chad

kathkeb
on 5/19/09 1:32 am
sorry -- no answers for you, but I just want to wish you a GREAT RACE!

You are ready --- have a wonderful time and write us a great race report!!!
Kath

Markrb
on 5/19/09 2:42 am - MA
Best of luck on you 5K. I did my first last Saturday and took Friday as a rest day, except for walking a few miles to stay loose. I didn't change anything as far as eating, I had a banana and a protein bar a couple of hours before the race.

I had a blast, I'm sure you will as well.
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

saxman007
on 5/19/09 3:42 am - Port Huron, MI
 Pamela,
Have fun at your first race!  Sounds like you've done everything right to get to this point and there's good advice above.  My only advice -- start in the back at the race!  Not sure how fast you plan on being, but unless you think you'll be competitive with the other runners stay back for a few seconds.  It's so easy to get worked up at the beginning of a race and start out to fast, just go with your plan and have fun!  You're going to do great
--Dan
PamelaDV
on 5/19/09 10:07 am - Apex, NC
Thanks so much for all the advice everybody.  I really appreciate it.  I am so excited about my race on Saturday.  My goal is to finish without walking (I am pretty sure I can do that) and to not finish last (I'm not so sure about that one).

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

Most Active