interesting article on caffeine and running

Seht
on 5/18/09 4:15 am
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=77278473109&h=U9SY 0&u=6KLME&ref=nf

Especially the part that talks about
Caffeine has also been found to delay fatigue during exercise by increasing the level of free fatty acids in the bloodstream and thereby boosting fat burning and conserving muscle glycogen (which is the limiting fuel source for muscle work). This latter effect of caffeine used to be considered the major mechanism by which it enhanced endurance performance, but it is now known to be a minor factor. In fact, for those who normally maintain a high-carbohydrate diet, it is virtually a non-factor.

But most of us here, don't eat a high carb diet.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 5/19/09 1:34 am, edited 5/19/09 1:42 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Men's Health had a great article a year or so ago about the benefits of caffine.   I'm glad because I down at least 4 cups every morning. :)  

Found it online...

CAFFINE ARTICLE CLICK HERE

OH was formatting the address weird because it had some underscores at the end of the URL.  Click on the link above to go to the article....

Seht
on 5/19/09 1:58 am, edited 5/19/09 1:58 am
yeah, but on the down side, the active article says to cut yourself off the caffeine a week or so before the event so that you can experience the full effect, and the mens health magazine says that performance increases were accomplished with caffiene pills or cold drinks, because coffee may actually inhibit or be counter productive to the increases from the caffeine.

Personally I'm still at a point where the biggest gains to be made are in my own physical abilities or the technique.  300 mgof caffeine isn't going to make any difference to me.  It's just like my bike, I'm sure my cheap $600 bike does me as well as a one that would cost me 8x as much.  My bike is better than I am.  I need the improvement, not the bike.  Eventually I hope to surpass the performance of the bike, but for now the bike performs better than I do.
It would be the same type of thing with the use of caffeine.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 5/19/09 2:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

You're right Scott.  It's never about the bike, it's all about the engine.  :)  

You're on the right track man.   Keep a positive attitude and you can achive whatever you want in triathlon and in life! 

Most Active