70.3 Ironman Pre-Race, Pre-Report....

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/16/09 3:14 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Guys,

It is 12:49am on Sunday May 17th, 2009 and I am sitting here in my hotel room, grinning from ear to ear just thinking about the race! I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will not be sleeping much, but before I lay down to get a few moments of sleep, I thought I would write some thoughts that I am feeling down.

As I arived with my brother this morning to the race site, registration, and packet pickup I could'nt believe I was actually here. 1 1/2 years ago, I remember sitting eating a pizza, weighing 400 pounds, and watched through a glass window as cyclists were flying down the street for some race I guess. I remember thinking to myself, man, those wierdos who ride those bikes have no idea what they are missing... I mean why be out in the heat when you could be in a nice air-conditioned establishment, enjoying a nice pizza and diet coke, watching a football game. Now, here I am, sporting my Lycra, thinking about all those poor people sitting inside an air-conditioned building, stuffing their faces with pizza, and watching some sporting event on tv... I mean, who would rather do that over running a race that spans 70.3 miles in a swim, bike, and run in 80+ degree weather and 90% humidity in the heart of Orlando, FL?

I cannot explain in words how grateful I am to be here. I think about the people who have helped me along my journey... (They are too numerous to mention) I am thinking about the many people out there who hang their heads in sorrow and shame because of their weight, and I am also thinking about those who do not feel like there is any hope or a way out from this dreaded disease, and then I think about the regular, everday people who have never struggled with weight in all their lives, and I am thinking about the man that stares back at me in the mirror, and that man is none of those things previously mentioned... anymore! I have worked my butt off to be here, I run 40-50 miles a week, I swim 10-12 miles a week, and cycle 150+ miles a week... I can honestly say I deserve to be here, and I am so thankful I took the road that led down the path of Triathlon and health. I have claimed my life again, and today will be the day I put my final nail in the coffin of "Obesity" in the life of Dan Benintendi. I will be thinking of my family, every hurdle I have overcome in training, and most of all I will be thinking about the transformation I have made in my life, and hopefully in the lives of those around me. My race report will be written shortly after my race, I just want you to know that I am thankful for all of you, you are all my friends, part of my journey in many more ways than you will ever know, God Bless us ALL in our journey from our former selfs. This is a special day for me, but I can already feel a lump in my throat that I know will transfer to tears upon finishing this race....(If I can stay hydrated) Catch you on the flip-side....... VIVA IRONMAN!!!!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 5/16/09 4:44 pm - Northern, CA
Good luck, Dan!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kypdurran
on 5/16/09 9:54 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Best of luck buddy.  Have a great race!

Dan's athlete tracker info at Ironman live...

http://liveupdate.ironmanlive.com/ppv/newathlete.php?rid=189 &race=/events/ironman70.3/florida70.3/&bib=2619&beta=

Elisa K.
on 5/16/09 10:53 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Good luck Dan!!  Savor every moment!!!
Sherry_Berry
on 5/16/09 10:55 pm - Dacula, GA
Dan is out of the water in 40:54. He's faster than that. Wonder if he's conserving for the long day ahead.

Go Dan go!
Sherry_Berry
on 5/17/09 2:11 am - Dacula, GA
Dan had a GREAT bike in 2:43!

Long T2 though...more than 7 minutes.

Wonder if he had to make a poopy monster stop!

Go Dan go!
kypdurran
on 5/17/09 5:54 am - Baton Rouge, LA

6:15:15  

That's quite impressive buddy.  Excellent job!

Sherry_Berry
on 5/17/09 6:21 am - Dacula, GA
2:38 on the half marathon. Not too shabby at all. I think my fastest split in a long distance tri was 2:42.

Way to go dan! I've been following your training. Your dedication and energy is boundless!

Seeing y'all race is giving me the itch to get back in as soon as baby is born.

Perhaps I'll see you next year at the gulf coast triathlon?

If not I'll be cheering for you at Augusta!
Darrell H.
on 5/17/09 8:23 am - Sinton, TX
Awesome job Dan!!! That is great. I cant wait to meet you and see you race some day soon!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
kenken
on 5/17/09 9:06 am - CA
Ive never met u, but u have been a pretty big inspiration to me in my weight loss, Ive read all your posts and they still amaze me sometimes..........having lost 165lbs and have begun running 5K's, I know the feeling of being in a hopeless situation to feeling as if you can accomplish anything.......i run 3-4 5K's a week now, and i love every minute of them.............il be doing my first 10k soon...........and like u i hope to try a triathlon one day...........thanks alot, keep pushing, and all the best to u..........
Most Active