Delaware Marathon Report

Chris S.
on 5/17/09 7:01 pm - SC
I DID IT, my 3rd marathon! AND in my fastest time yet; 4 hours 29 minutes. And it rained!!

The rain held off till right after the start-and it was not that bad either. It was a constant drizzle, Cassie you were right, I wore a hat and it made all the difference in keeping my eyes shielded.

The course was 2--13 mile loops. I had 3 goals; one of course to finish, the second was NOT get looped by the winning runner and the third was--there was a guy there who juggled 4 or 5 red balls the whole way!!---to make sure the juggler did not beat me. I was successful with all three. I did a 2:07 1/2, and a 2:22 the next 1/2.

The people of Wilmington were so nice. The course had so many water stations and I even passed a little girl giving out Jelly Belly jelly beans outside her house for runners. The course had some hills but not bad ones, of course mile 25 was mostly uphill UGH...but all in all-a great course, a great run, great people.

Rob you were right-the Sheraton is a nice place to stay. I also made it to some place called Delaware Park-THAT was a mistake. I went in with money but came out with, well, lets just say it rhymes with "nero" money. Oh well, cannot win them all

Thanks for letting me share!

Chris
Cassie W.
on 5/17/09 7:59 pm
Congratulations Chris.  You must have been so excited when you approached the finish and realized that you were able to get under 4:30.    I'm glad your feet survived the rain. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Sherry_Berry
on 5/17/09 8:56 pm - Dacula, GA
I didn't realize you were on your THIRD marathon!!! Many congrats on a PR!
Rob S.
on 5/17/09 9:38 pm - DE
Congratulations on getting your Delaware marathon completed.  I missed it since I was down at the beach.  Just saw your name in today's paper: 4'29"03.  That's fast in my book, especially with some of the hills that we offer here in Delaware.  Sorry the track was not more hospitable, but that's why I never go.  You did great.
Rob
kypdurran
on 5/17/09 11:29 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Great job Chris!  Congrats on a speedy finish in the bad weather.  

Chad

Seht
on 5/18/09 12:42 am
Wow, 3rd marathon, congrats on your success and achieving all the goals for the race.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Hawgman
on 5/18/09 2:23 am - TX
Way to go Chris, Esp. the new PR in the tough weather conditions.

Darrell
kathkeb
on 5/18/09 12:49 pm
Congratulations, Chris -- you are an inpriration!!

Way to go on the PR!
Kath

Chris S.
on 5/18/09 2:42 pm - SC
Thank you everyone for the kind words. While I was running I met several people wearing a 50statemarathon.com or something like it. Running a marathon in every state...hmmmm seeing how I cannot swim-that might be my new lifelong goal!!

Thanks again and thank you for letting me share

Chris

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.....John Bingham aka The Penguin

Most Active