New Runner with some caloric intake questions

PamelaDV
on 5/16/09 12:41 pm - Apex, NC
Hello everyone.  This is my first post in this forum.

I am running.  I can't believe I am running - but I am.  I had promised the good lord above that I wouldn't go faster than a walk after high school.  I have always hated running and now I can't explain it - I yearn to do it.

So I have recently upped my mileage from 2 to 4 miles.  I have decided to do a 5K - it's next weekend.  The Skirt Chaser 5K.  I'm oddly excited!

But I'm a little concerned that I'm not getting in enough calories and that I'm not hydrated enough. I'm almost 5 months out and 80 pounds down.  I have been struggling with my eating a bit - Kanga (I have named my pouch Kanga) is a bit finicky still and I just struggle with getting in what I should every day.  I stick to the protein first rule - so most of what I do eat is protein.  But I am getting in usually about 800 calories a day - I might bump up to 1000 on a good day.  Is this enough if I am running 4 miles 4 to 5 times a week?  

I saw my first real stall this month - 3 weeks playing with the same 2 pounds.  I think I may have broke the stall over the last couple of days - but it had crossed my mind that I wasn't having enough calories???

I also struggle with getting in all my water.  Kanga just doesn't tolerate a lot of water.  I have tried different things to flavor the water, etc... - I still just can't drink that much.

Today I went for my run.  It was a tough run for some reason.  I really really wanted to stop, but I didn't.  I did go very very slow though!  :)  When I got back home I had a really hard time - very shaky - almost passed out while I was taking my shower, etc...  When I went for my run I had only had a banana.

Am I worrying about nothing?  Will this get better for me as I get more used to running?  Is my body revolting?  Do I need to get more calories in?  What about the importance of hydrating either after or during your run?  It's not like I'm running very long right now.

I know that's a lot of questions. Any advice or suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

Brian W.
on 5/17/09 9:30 am - Belmont, CA
I'll try to answer your questions, but this just advice and I'm not a doc, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

1000 calories is not near enough if you are running 4 miles.  Depending on your weight, you can burn upwards of 500-600 calories on that run, leaving your body with just 4-500 calories net, which will put it into starvation mode.  That would explain the stall you are going through.  The body wont drop any weight because its starving. Beyond that, you don't want to get into any serious vitamin deficiencies

While protein is still important, you need to add in carbs as well as that is what will fuel you when you run.  Potatoes, bananas, veggies, all sources of good carbs.  I don't know what you can tolerate right now at 5 months, but experiment to see what you can eat.  With the water difficulties, have you tried Crystal Light? 

For the after-run experience, it sounds like you were dehydrated.  Hydration is #1 if you continue to run.  Hydrate before, during and after. Gotta find someway to work it.  Powerade makes a sugar free drink that would help while you run if you can tolerate it. 

If you continue to have issues while running, I would go see a doc and get checked out.

Good Luck

Brian
~350 
PamelaDV
on 5/17/09 10:59 am - Apex, NC
Brian - thanks so much for responding to me.  You look like you are doing fantastic so far out from surgery and that is so encouraging to me.

I have tried Crystal Light - I don't do NutraSweet so well - gives me major migraines - so I try to find stuff with Splenda or Sucralose instead of aspertame.  I probably just need to be more disciplined and get it in whether I like it or not.

I went for another run today - in the pouring rain no less.  I did much better today and have been working on my fluids today as well.

Kanga appreciates potatoes and bananas - so I will have to work on getting some more of that in when I know I am going to be running.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate it.

Seht
on 5/18/09 7:16 am
If you don't do NutraSweet, but prefer to have something flavored, I know I do.  I can't stand just plain water.
You can get unsweetened kool-aid and sweeten it yourself with splenda or stevia.
You can also try just giving a squirt of lemon or lime juice into your water and again if  you want it sweetened add a sweetener of your choice that doesn't cause you any distress.
There are a few other drinks I like that are sugar free, but i'm not sure what they sweeten them with, I don't have one handy to look at Sobe 0 is my favorite sugar free.  I also like the diet snapple..
I have also tried the sports drinks by hammer, they also make energy gels.  These do have sugars, but surprisingly they don't upset my stomach like some of the other drinks do.  I just shy away from them because it is sugar and I don't want to take a chance.
You definitely want to experiment with any of the drinks or energy gels long before your event.  Don't try anything new on race day, that can lead to a miserable day.

Congrats on your running and I wish you all the best.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

PamelaDV
on 5/19/09 1:09 am - Apex, NC
I love the SOBE 0 drinks.  Fuji Apple Pear is my favorite.

I think my biggest problem is just simply getting inwhat I need to.

Monique H.
on 5/18/09 7:08 am
Brian, I just want to say thank you for posting this. I have been trying to figure out if I should be going by net calories after I've worked out or just by the amount of calories I consume. Now if I understand you correctly, if I'm eating 8-900 calories a day and then burning 6-700 my body is going to be in starvation mode. I'm just curious if you know if my doctor says that I need to consume 8-900 calories a day and I'm burning 6-700 should I try to add that many more calories to my diet so that my net calories are 8-900? I hope you understood what I just said and I do appreciate your help.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Brian W.
on 5/18/09 10:19 am - Belmont, CA
Hi Monique

The bottom line for weight loss will always be calories in vs calories out.

The body needs a minimum number of calories to operate. Your base metabolic rate.

Given that your less than 6 months out of RNY, it'll be a challenge to meet the calorie requirements your body needs right now.  Which is why its common to hit a stalls during the weight loss process, the body will refuse to drop weight due too few calories.

I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but at 6.5 years out, I can just speak from experience.  What you eat during this early stage is just as important as how much you eat.  As I stated above, adding in good carbs will help as the body uses that as fuel to burn.  I wouldn't recommend adding in 600 calories immediately to your diet.  You should gradually up your intake.  Maybe some additional veggies or a banana or a potato.  Let the body adjust to your new eating habits.  It'll be a constant battle, I still battle this far out.

Good luck

Brian
~350
Most Active