Questions about running

sboyd1
on 5/16/09 12:36 am - Pearland, TX
Good Morning All:
I've never posted on this forum, so let me give a brief introduction. I had rny about 4 years ago. I recently began running (again ~sigh~ ) consistently about 1 week ago. I believe running will really help me to achieve and maintain my goal weight, so I'm pretty psyched about it!! Yay!!! 

My questions are: 
1. Last week I ran/jogged really well, but this week it HURT so badly!!! Is this normal?
2. Should I just run through the pain? It isn't sharp pain like something is wrong in some organ; it's like muscle tissue pain, joint pain, lower back pain... I can run through soreness.... (I was sore during that first week.)
 Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer regarding this subject.... -sb in Houston
Scott William
on 5/16/09 9:41 am
We had our surgery the same month.  Congrats on a great job!

What you describe simply sounds to me like too much, too soon.  It doesn't sound like an injury that should make you stop.  I would beck off a bit and make sure that you are getting back into it gradually.  Most experts will say not to add more than 10% per week in milage.  Go slow for a bit and give it a bit of time for your body to catch up because it is PISSED at you for making it work!

Good luck getting back into things.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
sboyd1
on 5/16/09 1:03 pm - Pearland, TX
Scott, thanks SO much for your insight. I went today, and I'm going to try it again tomorrow... what you say makes perfect sense! I'll give it a slower go, and see where that gets me.... thanks again and congratulations on working your tool!!!
Most Active