running post RNY

cgarcia112
on 5/15/09 2:30 am - Las Vegas, NV
Hello, I apologize if this is a repeated question, but I just hate the way the search function on this site works.
I am recently post op, and feeling good. My ultimate goal is to train and partake in triathlons and half (full if I can) marathons.
How did you running post RNYers go about training? How did you deal with the energy and hydration issues?
My surgeon is very adamant about having 3 meals a day without extra meals, and I find that even now with light workouts that I get totally drained.
Any suggestions? I am gonna bring this up with the doc at my next appointment too. Just wanted to see how some of you who have been there went about it.

Thanks!

saxman007
on 5/15/09 3:52 am - Port Huron, MI
 3 meals with no additional meals, wow!!  That's a first for me -- every doc up here wants you eating 5-6 times a day.  I know I struggle with that, but I find when I eat only 3 times a day I tend to eat too much too fast.  Spreading your intake through the day will keep your metabolism more stable and help to prevent that 'drained' feeling.  Now at this stage for you a 'meal' may consist of half a yogurt or a handful of nuts

As you up your exercise load you will have to adjust fuel needs (food).  Take things slowly for now.  I think it took me about 5 months before I started to run and about 10 months before I needed to worry about fuel for the longer sessions.
If you go back through the last 2-3 weeks of posts from this message board there was a 'what do you eat' thread.
Keep up the work and enjoy your training and races!
--Dan
Seht
on 5/15/09 7:02 am
I had the same issue with my surgeon/hospital.  It is an individual doctors preference.
For example there are 3 kaiser hospitals within 1.5 hours of my house.  2 of them recommend protein drinks to suppliment your calories and nutritional needs, one of them is adamant against protein drinks.  Same company, different doctors and they can't even agree with each other on which method or plan is the best.

It didn't work for me.  They couldn't seem to understand that I was burning more calories than I was eating.  The nutritionist wouldn't even discuss the idea of adjusting calories or meal time.

I found another nutritionist at another Kaiser hospital, that had done work with RnY patients.  She agreed with me that I wasn't going to accomplish what I wanted with the fuel intake I had.  She had me add something to my daily food intake before each workout.  I used to have that tired run down feeling like I had the flue.  The I can't complete my workout feeling went away.  Now when I'm tired, it's because I've worked my muscles.  Prior to adjusting the food intake I would be tired before I even started the workout.

Good luck with your goals.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 5/15/09 10:33 am
With only being 4 weeks out, you are still in recovery mode after major surgery and your food intake is pretty restricted.  It's not unusual to feel drained even with just day to day activities.

Although there is no consensus on the best eating plan, I followed by surgeon's advice for the first 6 months.  He  was also adamant about 3 meals a day because he felt we needed a clean break from mindless grazing.  It's the window of opportunity to establish the good eating habits that we need for long term success.

About 6 months after my surgery is when I started supplementing meals to fuel my exercise plan.  I was careful to add the extra carbohydrates before and after my workouts so they were part of my fueling plan.    I'm now almost 3 years out and I eat several times throughout the day to have enough energy for my workouts. 

Good luck with your goals.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

cgarcia112
on 5/15/09 3:15 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the great replies.
I know, I am a really impatient and overzealous person. I feel so good being down so much, that I feel I am invincible in a way.
I need to remember that time is on my side too. I need to be content with walking regularly.
Although, I really do want to keep the light weight, high rep weights to keep what I can of my lean mass. But I will just see what my body says and not over do it during the initial months

365lbs before surgery
Surgery 4/20/2009
Weight current: 266lbs

MacMadame
on 5/15/09 3:30 pm - Northern, CA
Caveat: I had a sleeve, not bypass.

Anyway, my program says to only eat 3 meals a day in our post-op manual, but my surgeon says 3 meals and a snack is okay. But that's the basic "one-size fits all" advice. If your individual cir****tances are different, you'll be shown how to modify. I now eat 3 meals and two snacks, for example, and my protein intake (and subsequently calories) is a lot higher than the standard recommendation in order to fuel my workouts.

What I struggle with isn't how often to eat.... my surgeon has been fine with pretty much everything I do including splitting my afternoon snack in two, half before a workout and half after... but with *what* to eat. The standard recommendations on the running and triathlon sites just don't work for me. It's too much food and too many carbs. My body doesn't do well on that type of diet. But the standard bariatric advice doesn't work either. That's too much protein and not enough carbs.

So I've been experimenting. The main thing I've found is that I have to eat something before I work out and something after and it can't be 100% carbs. But the exact right mix is still a mystery.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Summerdaze
on 5/16/09 7:46 am

My sister just took a liking to tris and we are both trying to find a good snack or food to have during the long workouts!???  Any suggestions that won't send her body into a nose dive?

Most Active