Running shoes--help!

Amanda L.
on 5/12/09 10:18 am
OK--so I have been walking on the treadmill.  At some point I started trying to run in intervals.  My knees started KILLING ME within a week or so.  So, figured I needed running shoes (I was wearing Nike Walking shoes).  I have been looking for 3 weeks, just couldnt figure out what I needed.  So, I went and was professionally fitted at a specialty shoe store.  They told me #1, I needed a bigger shoe (wtf??) and #2 my feet "roll in" --(over pronate maybe what she said).  I tried on two pairs of shoes and they were the most comfortable I have ever worn.  Spent $100 on a pair and went home happy...Well...I just got done walking/running my 30 minutes (I know--I am working on longer!). I felt some rubbing on the back of my ankles, but no big deal--until I took off my sock.  I have blisters on both ankles--ruptured and all--ouch!!  The lady said they "shouldnt need a break in period".  What do you more experienced walkers/runners think?  Do your new running shoes need a break in period? Do you think I need different socks (I was just wearing regular cheap crew cut socks)? Should I take them back and tell this professional shoe fitter that she doesnt know what she is doing?  Help!  I am upset because I have never spent this much on shoes and just want to know if this is normal. 

Good news is my knees dont hurt as bad as normal...so I did accomplish something!

Sorry so long.

Includes 10 lb pre-op loss.
levittown_loser
on 5/12/09 10:35 am - Levittown, PA
Well it certainly does sound like they are to big and causing rubbing ... hence the blisters.    Do they feel big?

As for socks ... be sure they are synthetic not cotton.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Amanda L.
on 5/12/09 10:49 am
Well, the socks were cotton..didnt know about needing synthetic. 

As far as the shoes go, they feel "roomier" than normal but not necessarily "too big".  They dont slip, but are rubbing a little.

Do you think I should just try different socks, or go back and talk to them?  Do your shoes have a "break in" period?  

I just dont want to look like an idiot.  I already felt wierd enough at my weight going in and asking for running shoes!

levittown_loser
on 5/12/09 10:51 pm - Levittown, PA
If they don't feel big then give them another try with different socks.  

I don't think running shoes need a specific "break in period" but I do usually wear them around the house for a few days before doing an initial run for my foot to get used to them a bit.   I do a few miles and then check my feet over for any issues. 

If your concerned I would give the store a call or stop in with the shoes and chat with them about it.  I'm sure your not the first person to walk out with the wrong shoe and they will help you out.

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

pcgal
on 5/12/09 11:26 am - NC
VSG on 03/30/16
You definitely did the right thing by going to a specialty shoe store.  They really know what they're doing.  I went to one - sounds like possibly the same chain - Fleet Feet.  The shoes I ended up getting are Mizuno and I LOVE them.  I was fitted for them and they are also a size larger than I normally buy.  I also purchased Zulu socks.  These socks are made to keep moisture away from your foot.  I have not had any issues with blisters.  I had asked at the shoe store and was told that you do not need to "break in" these shoes.  If i were you, I would call the store and speak with them about your blisters.  It could possibly be an issue with your socks, or it could be that the shoes are just too big.  Oh, and another thing they did at the store was showed me a different way of lacing the shoe.  Go to http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334 -0,00.html, scroll to the bottom and look at  PROBLEM: "MY HEEL SLIDES UP AND DOWN."  Solution: Create a more secure fit around the ankle without tightening the entire shoe. That is exactly the way I have my shoes laced and they work great.  GOOD LUCK!

(includes 9 lbs lost on 2 week pre-op diet)
AP Standard band - 1st fill 2/07/08 1cc, 2nd fill 4/07/08 1cc, 3rd fill 6/09/08 1 cc, 4th fill 8/04/08 .3 cc, 5th fill 11/05/08 .15 cc - total 5.05 cc in a 10 cc band

Brian W.
on 5/12/09 3:42 pm - Belmont, CA
Couple of things to do:

- Shoes do have a break-in period.  Try to wear them as much as possible for a day or two, let your feet work them out.  Cover your blisters with blisterpads and moleskin until they heal.  Then use moleskin if you have continued rubbing.  I get a lot of rubbing on the sides of my big toes, so I constantly use moleskin.

- Echoing the suggestion to get different socks.  Your feet sweat when you walk/run, so you need socks that'll take that moisture away.  Dri-fit socks are great for this.  They are thinner than regular cotton socks and don't hold moisture.

- I recently got new shoes and had the reverse problem.  i was wearing a size too big and my feet were sliding in the shoes while i ran, causing me toe problems.  I had always compensated length for width, so I went from an 11D shoe to a 10EE shoe and no problems so far.  I would make sure the shoes are correct width for your feet.  Some shoe ppl still compenstate length for width.

Good luck

Brian
~350

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/13/09 12:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
Get some Wigwam Socks... They rock! Deff get a good pair of socks.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Fionna
on 5/13/09 2:03 am - NC
I am certainly no expert but will share my recent experience....

I just started the couch25k program. Currently in week 3...

The first 2 weeks, I noticed my knees would scream at me at least once during the jog. I was wearing true walking tennis and my inside left foot was rubbing against the shoe. I decided I may need a true pair of running shoes, especially if I intend to keep jogging.

Long story short, I went to Dicks Sporting Goods with plenty of time on my hands and tried on several pairs. I stuck to my true shoe size as I have had shoes that were too big before and my foot would slip forward causing pain in my big toe.

I finally found a pair of Nike's that fit well. Week 3 has been great! No knee pain, no rubbing problem, and the shoes are nice and bouncy on my feet.

Also, I have been wearing regular cotton socks with no problems.

I so wanted some help but there was only 1 person working in the department so I did it on my own. I like you do not spend a lot of money on shoes, but I knew I would need to shell out a little more for a better shoe. Wound up catching the shoes on sale. regular 79.99 down to 54.99.

Stick with seeking some assistance. It is well worth the effort to find the RIGHT shoes!

If I am gonna eat   like a fat girl, then I gotta workout   like a skinny girl!

Valerie

Amanda L.
on 5/13/09 10:41 am
Thanks everyone for your input.  I will definately try wigwam and dri fit socks.  I am out of town on business right now, but when I get back Friday I will follow up with the shoe store as well.

THANKS!!

PplAmanda
on 5/13/09 12:50 pm - Benton, AR
I wear a sock designed for running. It has two layers and the layers slide together instead of your foot and shoes or foot and sock making contact. I have worn them a few weeks and love them.
I always break my shoes in my wearing them around the house for a few hours at a time for a few days. Don't know if it really helps, but it is what I have always done.

Good Luck!
Most Active