Race Report

Hawgman
on 5/11/09 3:08 am - TX
Ran the Jack Rabbit Run for Hope Saturday in Copperas Cove, TX.

It was a hot, humid day.  When we started the temperature was about 78 and humidity in the mid 80s. 
As always the camaraderie at the start line was fun.  Copperas Cove is next door to one of the biggest army bases in the US so there was a lot of military people there.  The announcer had everyone do a "HOORAH" before we took off.  Pretty cool!
There was about 400 runners.  300 doing the 5k and 100 doing the 10k.  The course starts out fairly flat but in between mile 1 and 2 there is a huge, steep hill.  I was able to run (slog) all the way up, but only because I would not allow myself to walk.  It was tough and sapped a lot of strength out of everybody.  The course winds up and down and through the several neighbor hoods.  I felt pretty good throughout the run, but the heat was a definite factor.  Each of the watering spots were gratefully accepted.  What I didn't drink I poured in my face and on top of my head. 
I ended up running it 62:23, a new pr, but not quite breaking the hour barrier.  I truly believe on a flatter, cooler course I could have done it. 

Thanks to all for their continued inspiration.

Darrell
Seht
on 5/11/09 3:17 am
Congrats Hawgman!
Way to power up that hill. 
Thanks for sharing the race report.  I'm sure you'll get that sub 60 min next time you run.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 5/11/09 3:23 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Great job Darrell.   Way to stick it out and finish strong.  You'll surely break your hour barrier soon!

Chad

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/11/09 4:03 am - Fort Worth, TX
Gotta love the humidity! Congrats on a good finish and a solid race. Keep up the great work, you are doing awesome!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 5/11/09 4:31 am - Cumming, GA
congrats!  way to beat the course not to mention the heat/humidity. 

i can't wait to post my first race report (first 5K will be Memorial Day morning)...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Cassie W.
on 5/11/09 9:15 am
Congratulations Darrell.  Without the heat and humidity, you certainly would have stopped the clock before it hit the hour mark.  I grew up in Texas and amazed at folks like you who don't let the southern climate stand in your way. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MacMadame
on 5/11/09 5:10 pm - Northern, CA
Congrats on your mental toughness!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

levittown_loser
on 5/12/09 4:26 am - Levittown, PA
Congrats Darrell!  

Heat and hills will get ya everytime!   I'm sure you will hit your goal next time.

Cheers!
Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Hawgman
on 5/12/09 6:37 am - TX
Thanks for all the support and inspiration.  It means a lot to me.

Darrell
Most Active