My first sprint triathlon. Anyone else doing the Danskin

amandanurse
on 5/10/09 11:07 am - Denver, CO
Hello Excercise Enthusiast!
My name is Amanda and I wanted to introduce myself.  My RNY was done in Sept of  2008 and I am down 90 pounds so far.

This summer I am doing my first sprint triathlon, the Danskin here in Denver.  My training is going well and while my time may not be extremely competetive, I am confident that I will not finish last.  My goal is to complete the race and run the tire running portion. 

Any encouragement or advice would be appreciated.  I am loving my new strong body!

-Amanda

kypdurran
on 5/10/09 11:03 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Amanda.   Congrats on your weight loss and your decision to compete in your first triathlon.   I'll warn you in advance, they are addictive. :) 

Approach the race as a learning experience and don't worry at all where you finish.  Your race should be against your former self and against the course.  Beat the course and cross the finish line and you are a winner!  Most of all, HAVE FUN!  

Best of luck!

Chad

BTW, what race are you doing?

amandanurse
on 5/10/09 11:11 pm - Denver, CO
I'm doing the Danskin in Aurora, a suburb of Denver Colorado.   Swimming is my weakest sport, but i'm doing it!

What have been your favorite races? I am thinking about centerting a trip around a triathlon later this summer.

kypdurran
on 5/10/09 11:15 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

My favorite 3 of the 25 tris I've done are:

1) Wildflower 70.3 at Lake San Antonio, CA which was a couple weeks ago.
2) Heart O' Dixie Olympic distance race in Philiadelphia, MS which is typically held in July.
3) Ironman New Orleans 70.3 in New Orleans which is held in April

I'm assuming the race is gonna be hilly since it's in Denver?  

amandanurse
on 5/10/09 11:26 pm - Denver, CO
Everyone seems to like the Wildflower.  Maybe I'll work my way up to an Olympic by next spring.

The Danskin is at a local lake- a little hilly but not like the foothills or the mountains.  I am from Oklahoma and Texas.  Keep me posted on southern races.  I plan on doing a sprint tri in Steamboat, Co at the end of July.  The race will be at 8800 ft above sea level.   After that, maybe I will try a race at sea level or below!

Most Active