2nd 5k

shane614
on 5/9/09 12:17 pm - elgin, IL
I finished my second 5k in 29:08.  

So here is the problem.  my 1st goal was to finish the 5k without walking, did that in my 1st 5k.

then my 2nd goal was to finish under 30 minutes, did that in my 2nd 5k.  What should my next goal be?  I am running another one in two weeks and this one has a lot of hills.  So my goal is to just finish this one.  

But my question is I want to run a marathon in 2011, what should my steps be? 

levittown_loser
on 5/9/09 1:09 pm - Levittown, PA
Congrats on your 2 5ks!   Great time on your second.

I went from 5k to 10K to 10 Miles.

I'm in training with USA Fit for a half and full marathon this year!  Why are you waiting until 2011 for a marathon if your running 10 min miles now?

Just challenging ya to expand on your goals some  

http://www.chicagofit.com/
  ... for 100 bucks they will have you ready for the Chicago half in September and do your full marathon in 2010!   No speed requirements or pressures. 

Cheers!
Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/9/09 10:46 pm - Fort Worth, TX
It sounds like you are only doing 5k without stopping now, which is awesome. Gradually increase your mileage by no more than 1.5 miles every other week. Heck, the Biggest Loser contestants did a full marathon after 4-5 months of weight loss. Yeah, most of them walked it, but it doesn't matter... 26.2 miles is a huge accomplishment in and of itself. On my 11th month Surgiversary I ran a full 26.2 mile marathon in 4:53:and change. 2 MOnths later I ran another 26.2 mile marathon in 4:23:01 on a way tougher course. 3 Steps to take.... 1. Register for the event you want to do. 2. Progress slowly and steadily 3. Throw away your fear of failure and just step up and do it.... you will do anything you put your mind to. Good luck...

Dan
www.swimfromobesity.com
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MaryS
on 5/10/09 12:44 am - Long Island, NY
I agree that with the other posters that you could be ready for a marathon in 2010. Sign up for a 10k now and start training for it. Runningcoach.com has a couple of training programs that help you build up your weekly mileage that you might want to check out.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

shane614
on 5/10/09 11:23 pm - elgin, IL
thanks for your advice.  I will think about the marathon next summer.
Most Active