Need Thoughts/Suggestions!!!!

saxman007
on 5/10/09 10:28 pm - Port Huron, MI
Everyone please take a second and give me some thoughts as to what you'd want if you came to the following thing:
On Thursday night I presented a new thought/idea to my students and parents.  With how out of shape and unhealthy so many of us are/were I have created a new group very loosely affiliated with my high school.  
My ultimate goal is just to get people walking, my secondary goal/hope is to get a large group of people to participate in the Detroit Marathon either in their 5K,1/2 marathon, full marathon, or as part of a relay team.  
I plan to have some packets of the couch-5k-plan there and some resources available for those interested in the full/half marathon that include some links and training plans.
I had thought I'd get maybe 30-40 people but there are so many that I never would've thought of doing this saying they're coming up so who knows -- I wouldn't be surprised right now if 100+ showed up on Thursday night.
Here's where I need your help!!!
I'm planning on doing this from 7-8 and asking people to be moving: running/walking/crawling whatever for as much of as they can.  Most of the people that will show up have probably never really run NOR plan/want to.  I just want to give support the best support I can to keep these people coming back and to keep moving.
If you showed up for this what would you want to have available?  What would keep you coming back?

Please give me your thoughts even if it's just: A large group all moving somewhat together that I can talk with friends while getting in my exercise for the day.  
Thanks!!
--Sax
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/10/09 11:48 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Bro..... It's a great thing you are doing. What might be cool, to give people a sense of accomplishment, is start your practices at a track. I would start the session off with some group stretching, then I would have everyone start with one lap (400 meters). Encourage them to run as long and as steady as they can. Let the ones who finish first be there to cheer on the slower ones, this will give a sense of "Team" for everyone involved. Then, challenge them to do 2 laps, with the same thing in mind, then finish the evening off with 1 final lap encouraging them to run / walk as fast as they can for the entire lap. I would recommend having them start off slower than their capabilities and have them improve on speed each set. It will teach them to start off conservatively and finish strong, that in and of itself will produce a sense of accomplishment. This workout will be 1 mile total. After that session, encourage those who would like to stay around for an "Open" cool down or training session to do so. Run a slow steady mile with the participants. If you are going to try to have 2 practices a week, have the 1st practice of the week be the introduction of a longer distance training session, then have the 2nd practice of the week be more speed focused on the longer distance. Maybe you could increase the distance by 1 lap each week. After about 4 weeks, you might be able to increase by 2 laps each week as peoples fitness levels increase. Hopefully you find a little bit of useful info in this winded rant. Anyways, great stuff buddy, good luck and let me know if I can help in any way...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 5/11/09 1:17 am
Great ideas. 
Definitely want to start them out slow.
Handing out packets of the couch to 5k is a great idea.
I might suggest splitting them into groups appropriate to their ability, so that they can get encouragement from other runners/walkers of the same or similar level.  Nobody likes the be the last person or feel like they are the slowest or only person who can't run.
Maybe you guys could do a team t-shirt, anything to develope that team feeling and the feeling of support from all the members.  I had some made at zazzle.com, and there is a place local to me that I just saw yesterday that has no minimum and no setup fees for doing shirts.  I'm going to check them out.  I want to get a couple tech t's made.  Since it is such a good cause and you are sort of growing the idea through your school/students, you might be able to get someone to donate or help sponsor the idea.
Make sure to enforce the thought that this isn't a competition for those who don't want to run. 

Good luck with your project, I hope you have great success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 12:52 am - Maumelle, AR
I just finished a Women Can Run clinic organized by a running club in my state, and it was fabulous.  We had door prizes after every practice, things as simple as socks and headbands and energy gels and t-shirts from prior races.  Sometimes we had speakers -- people from local running clubs and stores, usually.  The group was divided up by ability and each group had a set workout for the week.  We had a mock 5k with potluck and larger prizes, and a graduation event (a 5k).

I'd go out to see if you can get items donated for some door prizes.  People love free stuff, after all.  Good luck, I hope you are successful! :)
Most Active