uh-oh not one but two

Seht
on 5/8/09 12:14 pm
So I had been training for and planning to run a 1/2 marathon for my 42nd birthday.  There just happened to be one within 15 miles of home on my birthday.  I had told my wife that if she was working again by then, I'd like to sign up for it. 

Well good news, she got a job, and decided to sign me up for the race in October.  The only problem is there were 2 of them, put on by two different companies.  Well she signed me up for the wrong one and it isn't until the 31'st of October.  They have a no refund policy.  Now i'm thrilled and bummed, I really wanted to do the race on my birthday.  She told me to sign up for that one too.

Now i'm wondering, since I have never done a 1/2 marathon before, how am I going to feel and will I be in a position or condition to do them 20 days apart.  I'm trying to decide if I should sign up for that second 1/2 marathon or not.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/8/09 1:07 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Bro...  Congrats on your wife finding work, that's awesome! You will find that as you GRADUALLY increase your distance (Not like me from 0 mile base to 26.2 mile marathon in 5 months) your body will begin recovering quicker. Remember protein for the muscles, carbs for the glycogen, and slow steady progress to attain your goal. Bro, if thousands of people, including William Scott can do the Goffy Challenge... Half Mara one day followed by a Full Mara the next, you will be more than ready in 20 days IMHO.... Rock on body, good times.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 5/8/09 1:18 pm - Northern, CA
20 days seems reasonable to me. People do races two weeks apart and that's more than that.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

levittown_loser
on 5/8/09 9:45 pm - Levittown, PA
Go for it!  20 days is a long time :)

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

bursonc
on 5/9/09 12:03 am
You can do it!!! 
Your goal was to do it on your birthday.... so stick to your goal.
You'll be bummed if you don't!

Good luck.
Brian W.
on 5/9/09 9:19 am - Belmont, CA
I did two halfs last year about 30 days apart and set a PR in the 2nd one.

Also during marathon training here, I've been running at least a half every weekend for about 6 weeks now.  So you can condition your body to do it, just take it into account for your training plan

Good luck you can do it

Brian
~350
Most Active