Avia Wildflower Olympic Course Race Report

MacMadame
on 5/5/09 3:32 pm - Northern, CA
The weather was perfect and my pre-race prep went fairly well. Most of the things I worried about didn't come to pass and I felt good when the starting horn when off.

Swim: I kept to the plan for a nice and easy swim at around a 40 mile per hour pace. I did have trouble following the course so I did some extra zigging and zagging, but my swim time f 37:52 was still pretty close to my planned 37 minutes.

T1: I felt sluggish and probably took an extra minute over what I normally do for a total time of 5.5 minutes

Bike: I felt great at first, and felt like I was tearing it up, but finished the first half well off my planned pace. Then I was wobbly for the second half. In fact, I ended up walking up the first big hill after the turn around. That turned out to be a big mistake and I forced myself not to walk up any others after that. I had fun grabbing bottles of Gatorade Endurance from the aide stations while not stopping though. Total time: 2:06:19 - about 15 min. longer than I expected.

T2: Still felt like it took too long, but my time was okay - just over 3 minutes

Run: As usual, the first mile was just staggering around trying not to die. I walked up the last 2 ft of one hill, but got stronger after that and was able to run up all the rest. After mile four, people kept saying "it's all downhill from here" but then there would be another hill! Eventually, it really was all downhill as I flew down Lynch Hill just like they taught us at Tues. track passing all the walkers and the ones who were leaning back trying to brake themselves. I even had enough energy at the end to speed up once I hit the Finish Line shoot.

I finished dead tired with nothing left to give and barely enough energy to pack up my gear in transition. So I was quite happy about that as I'd hate to end a race thinking I could have pushed more.

The best part of doing Wildflower, though, is that when I signed up, I wasn't quite sure I could do it. Doing something you aren't sure you are capable of is probably once of the most rewarding experiences.

For the full report see: http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/05/see-mac-tri.html

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Cassie W.
on 5/5/09 8:43 pm
Congratulations!  You are truly an inspiration.  Reading your posts the last few months are what finally convinced me to "tri."  My first will be the end of July.

Cassie 
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Elisa K.
on 5/5/09 9:18 pm - Lumberton, NJ

Congratulations MacMadame!!  Your training and race reports have got me thinking about trying a tri - LOL!!  I think that may be my goal for next year - getting some swimming lessons and getting on a bike. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us - you truly are an inspiration!!

kypdurran
on 5/5/09 11:30 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Congratulations on finishing a very tough race on an EXTREMELY tough course.   Great job and it was nice getting to meet you there.

Will, a bunch of guys from my tri club and I will be back next year to do the long course again!  

Chad

MacMadame
on 5/7/09 3:37 pm - Northern, CA
We'll have to do some sort of "inter-club" thing with your club and mine.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Judi J.
on 5/5/09 11:36 pm - MN
congratulations! you are amazing. They Olympic courses still intimidate me but doing one is a goal

way to start out with a bang!
Seht
on 5/5/09 11:50 pm
What an awesome job.
You went from your first sprint tri a couple weeks ago to finishing a very tough olympic distance course.

You deserve to be very proud of your accomplishments.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 5/6/09 12:18 am - Cumming, GA
congrats!  Great race report.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/6/09 4:01 am - Fort Worth, TX
One Word.... EPIC!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Darrell H.
on 5/6/09 5:18 am, edited 5/6/09 5:32 am - Sinton, TX
Great job. I cant wait till I can join you all and become a triathlete. Thanks for the inspiration!

I just read the race report on your blog. You do an excellent job of explaining and visualizing the race. Thanks!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Most Active