Your opinion on "Running a race"

saxman007
on 5/4/09 12:01 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Scott,
I consider that I 'ran' the detroit marathon -- however we waked many of the water stops.  The first 6 or so miles we were way ahead of the pace (some bad construction related issues lead to a rough crossing of the Ambassador Bridge) and it wasn't until around mile 6 that our 'pacer' realized it and worked to pace us all back down.  Being a slower group we ended up walking most of the water stops to keep at the 5 hour aimed time.  
I think it's what works for you -- I know I have hard time drinking while I'm running at a race pace, so I see it as a how much are you going to slow down issue more than a 'walk' issue.  
Hal Higdon gives a good explanation of it here: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm.  If he can run a 2:29 and walk every water station who am I to argue?  
I don't know if that's quite what you meant by walking during the marathon or not, but it's my $.02 worth
--Dan

Seht
on 5/4/09 2:58 pm
Yeah I have problems walking and chewing bubblegum.  I usually end up choking on water when I'm running.  I need to work on that.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Seht
on 5/4/09 2:55 pm
I'm not trying to detract from anyones accomplishments, I'm just asking how you feel about it personally.  For myself if I enter a race with the intention of running it, I consider it a failure if I don't run it.  I think it is even more the case for myself as I'm not competative, so I'm not really racing anyone but myself.  So if I don't succeed in running the whole race, I don't consider it a success.  It's not really a failure, but it isn't a success either.  For me it is more successful to have run 5 miles at 4 or 5 mph than it is to run 4 miles at 6 mph then have to walk the last mile.  If I stop, then the race beat me.

I guess I get wrapped up around the difference in my head between completing a race, and running a race.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions and practices.

Scott

saxman007
on 5/4/09 9:40 pm - Port Huron, MI
 This is what has surprised me more than anything as I've done running and look to start tri's -- your race is with/against yourself.  The person who finishes the marathon in 2:15 feels the same about their race as those that finish in 6:30.  Not only that, they tend to be as excited for those that finish later as they were for themselves.
A great example of this was Chrissie Wellington at last year's Kona coming back to watch that high school senior come across the finish line.

Scott William
on 5/4/09 10:31 pm
A lot of the bias about the run/walkers is based on the fact that many will run right in the middle of the road and stop abruptly to take the walk break.  That makes people behind them jam up and jump out of the way to get around then.  It annoys me and I understand the walk thing.  I have done 4 marathons and the only one where I was really sore the next day was the one where I tried to run the entire thing.  Throwing in walk breaks makes the run easire on your body and at 260 lbs, hopefully that will enable me to run for a long time.  

I actually think that discounting a run because you walk is silly.  I understand the goal of running the entire thing.  If that will make you feel more complete, then go for it.  I ran a half in April of 07 in 2:06.  I did another in September in 07 in 2:03 with walk breaks.  Do I think that accomplished more in the one where I ran exclusively?  Hell no.  When it comes up, my PR is 2:03.  As a matter of fact my 5K PR was done with a walk break and most of the 5k's I run are without a break.

To answer your question, I judge my running on this:
DLF>DNF>>DNS
Dead last finish is greater than did not finish which greatly trumps did not start. 

I judge my running by start lines, finish lines and time.  Walking only helps my time and count finish lines. 

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 5/4/09 11:49 pm
I can appreciate the just finish aspect of the run.  It's an amazing journey to have come that far and to accompli****
For me, I hate running, I think the closest I have come to that runners high or effortless running was last night on my first 10k without stopping.  It felt like I could just keep going.
But  I don't really enjoy running (I see running as a fitness tool, and something I have used as a goal or motivator.  You will never catch me saying hey I have a great idea, lets go for a run).  I have a few goals that revolve around running.  Running has always been a failure for me.  I failed phys ed one year in high school because I refused to run laps.  So running is a challenge for me.  I set all these goals that I want to beat.
Run a mile
Run a 5k
Run a 10k
Run 1/2 marathon
Run full marathon
Run all the different distance triathlons
So for me if I don't RUN them, I won't be able to cross them off my list.  They will be unfufilled goals.  I have had too many years of quitting on the run.  So for me it's a fight between me and the course, who is going to win. 

Scott

sheepla
on 5/5/09 12:09 am
I love the idea of DLF is better than DNF which is better than DNS.

I've run four marathons using the run-walk marathon and I totally count those as real runs!  It works for me.   Thanks for being so respectful about those of us who use this method. Now, I always start in the back and stay to the side becuase I know a lot of walk-runners can be very rude about it.  I also recognize that if I were running I would be annoyed by the constan****ch beepings, but no way to avoid that.

When I get back into running after my surgery, I'd like to do up to 10ks without walk breaks but I don't know if I would ever have the goal to complete half or full marathons without walk breaks....I really do think it affects recovery time considerably and I like to recover quickly!

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

Seht
on 5/5/09 12:55 am
I don't know that I will ever be able to do those longer distances without stopping, but it is a goal for me.
I realize it's a long long way to go.

Scott

kypdurran
on 5/5/09 2:26 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Just my opinion but there is NO shame in walking.  Many of the pros were even walking up the hills on the Wildflower course.   Only individuals gifted with some sick athletic talent would have not been reduced to walking on some of those climbs.   

Then there's the guy (or gal) that walks the entire marathon of the Ironman and comes in at 16:59.59...  You know what they call him / her?   IRONMAN.

Most races have cutoff times for a reason.   As Scott mentioned a DID NOT START < DID NOT FINISH < FINISHED LAST.  At least the DID NOT FINISH AND FINISHED LAST actually got off their ass and did the race.   It's about beating the courses and as long as you have no assistance in forward propulsion you can walk, roll, crawl, run, skip or cartwheel the entire race and you will still be considered as 'running' the race.  

Scott William
on 5/5/09 3:45 am
Well said Chad. 

Scott:

Like Rocky said in the final Rocky

"You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you're no good.  When things got hard you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow.  Let me tell you something you already know.  The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.  Its a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you too your knees and keep you there perminantly if you let it.  You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.  But it aint about how hard you hit.  It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward".

I repeated that a hundred times over the last 6 miles of my first marathon when I was not sure until the second that I crossed the line that I was actually going to finish.   That is how the marathon is.  It will beat your ass if you are not ready to take it on.  I cried 4 times during that race and I walked a lot but I got it done.

When you finish your first marathon I will guarantee you that the finish line will be much more important than the fact that you ran the whole thing.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active