Your opinion on "Running a race"

Seht
on 5/4/09 4:10 am
So I was looking at a couple articles on Active.com about running.
There seemed to be a lot of comments/arguing about run/wal/run.
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=77980923987&h=60Q7 b&u=eECD-&ref=nf
&
http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Run-walk-run_to_faste r_times__faster_recovery.htm

Do you feel like you have "run" a race if you plan to walk part of it?

I have never done any long races, but I am working towards my first 1/2 marathon this year.
I know that personally I want to run or jog the entire distance.  I feel like if I go into the race planning to walk part of the race, then i'm not running the entire race.  I think it is one thing to hit the wall and have to walk, but if you go in with the intention of walking, have you actually run.

I know that I haven't counted any of my tri's until the last one.  I even got 3rd place goodies for the first race I ran (lucky there was only 3 people entered ;-) ).
But I don't count it as having run it, because I didn't run the whole thing.  I finally completed a whole tri with no stops, I consider that one completed and run.

Just kind of wondering what or how you might judge your own run or walk.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Hawgman
on 5/4/09 4:39 am - TX
I'm with you Scott.  I  wouldn't feel like I had accomplished every thing I wanted to if I walked some portion of the race.  Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem if someone else wants to walk!

BTW congratulations on the commitment to the 1/2.  I ran my first in April and am looking forward to completing a full marathon before the end of the year.

Good Luck!!

Darrell
Elisa K.
on 5/4/09 5:16 am - Lumberton, NJ
I am only speaking for myself.  I would never walk in a race, unless I physically had nothing else to give.  I have done 8 - 5ks and a 10 miler, and I have never walked.  I have had to walk a few times in training - for what ever reason (too hot, allergies kicking up - couldn't breath, etc), and it just about killed me to do it.  For myself, I almost consider it not running, if I have to walk any portion.  Crazy, I know!!  

Just a silly side note, which demonstrates my crazy, competitive mind - LOL!!  I am by no means a fast runner - on a good day, my 5k pace is 11 min/mile.  I get so irritated when I am in a race, and I am battling for position with a run/walker.  They start walking, so I pass them (and you know that it takes effort to pass someone).  Then I think they decide that they don't want me to get ahead of them, so they start running again, and pass me.  Then they start walking again, and the process repeats.  I don't know why, but that just ****** me off!!  Please tell me I am not the only one who is irritated by this - LOL!!
Judi J.
on 5/4/09 5:23 am - MN
I'm a runner/walker cause I'm still out of shape. One of the running books my husband was reading recommends it. I know my fastest personal 5k time was running/walking vs. the one where I ran the entire way

But I agree it feels like more of a victory with no walking.

But as a runner/walker, I count em all!
Seht
on 5/4/09 5:38 am
Don't get me wrong, I will be happy to finish my 1/2 marathon, and there is nothing wrong with walking.  I just couldn't consider myself to have run the 1/2 marathon if I went into it with the intention of walking.  I might be inclined to cut myself some slack if I had left it all out on the course, and I just couldn't do it.  There would still always be that little bit of disappointment that I didn't accomplish what I set out to do.

Scott

Brian W.
on 5/4/09 6:56 am - Belmont, CA
No shame in walking from my perspective, especially if you have not run that distance before.  I expect to have to take some walk breaks in the marathon.  After 14-16 miles, my body just needs a minute or two to recover.  Also walking through the water stations gives ya a bit of a break.  I try to run as much as possible, but as you increase the distance, the body is gonna fight.

Brian
~350
Kevin A.
on 5/4/09 7:18 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Well I happen to be one of the walk/runners and I have no shame in taking walk breaks when ever my watch beeps or when I need a break!! I tried running 3-4 miles and I found my times are not that much faster than if I took walk breaks. Walking/running is less taxing on my body and I'm able to go longer distances.

I've run 2 marathon, and many 1/2 marathons. But the more years I run the shorter my walk breaks so maybe one day I'll be able to just run the whole races. For now I'm just happy to have finish every race I have ran.
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
MacMadame
on 5/4/09 9:55 am - Northern, CA
I always go in with the intention of running the whole thing, but if I find I have to walk for any reason, I don't consider that I haven't "done" that distance. If I went in with the intention of walking and running, then I would make that clear when talking about the race. As in "I ran/walked a 10k".

But I walked for 2 ft. up a steep hill in yesterday's tri and there is no way I'm going to say I didn't do that tri because of that. I can't see how a few seconds of walking negates the the other 4 hours and 19 minutes.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 5/4/09 2:56 pm
I agree with you, you ran the race and had a point where you had to modify your plan.
But that's not the same as going into the race with the intention of walking the course.

Scott

MacMadame
on 5/5/09 2:06 pm - Northern, CA
Then you completed those tris last year too!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active