Suggestions for Tri Bike

mcarthur01
on 5/4/09 6:35 am - Cumming, GA
Any suggestions for a used/inexpensive tri-bike for a big guy?  I'm 6 foot even and 255 now, i plan on entering my first tri in September and need to get a bike so i can start training on the real thing vs. just spinning at the gym.  Any insight would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Bill
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 5/4/09 7:39 am
Do you have any local bike stores?
I know that next weekend my local Trek bike store is having a factory warehouse demo day.  They will have bikes there available for people to take for a spin.

My local Tri shop owner has also offered to let me take a bike for a ride as well.

The reason I mention this is because a Tri bike feels different than a street/road bike.  different body position etc.  I was cautioned strongly against starting with a tri bike.  Everyone I spoke to suggested a road bike until I build up the miles.  You can always put on aero bars etc. 

The other factor that pushed me towards a street bike, is that I was not able to find a tri bike I could afford.  I didn't want to buy the cheapest one I could find, which is what I would have had to do.  I still had to sacrafice on my street bike, the concessions would have been even great had I insisted on getting a tri-bike.

But if it is available to you, and you can ride one go do it.  You might like the riding position.
You might also check out craigslist or ebay, but I'm always leary of spending that much money on something that I can't see or touch first.  The same would apply to any retailer.  I'd want to see and test ride a bike that is going to cost several thousand dollars.

Good luck.  I hope you have some success.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 5/4/09 8:22 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Bill the best thing you can do is find a road or time trial (tri geometry) bike that you are comfortable on.   At 6" tall you'd probably fit well in a 60cm frame.   Local bike shops will want to sell you a new bike.   Check with your local tri-clubs and post on their message boards that you are getting into the sport and are looking for a used bike.  You'd be surprised how many responses you'll probably get.   If you don't have any luck there try craigslist.org in your area.   There are ALWAYS peeps on there selling bikes. 

A few tips to keep in mind...

- Nothing and I mean NOTHING beats comfort after 2+ hours in the saddle.   Find something you are comfortable on.   If you aren't comfortable then you'll likely be clinching and straining not even knowing it.  You'll have muscles hurting that you didn't even know existed after riding over 2 hours.

- If you can't find a time trial framed bike then get a road bike.  With a road bike you can always snap on some aero bars so you can get used to and comfortable riding in that position.   I never really got used to the bull-horn drops and I don't feel comfortable on them. 

- Get some bike shoes and get used to being clipped in.  You'll get your most notable improvement in speed, endurance and efficiency going from the baskets to clips.  You're gonna fall once, maybe twice in your first few rides.  EVERYONE does.  Once you get used to being clipped in you'll wonder why you didn't do that in the past. 

- Carbon frames are great but if you can't afford that then get aluminum with carbon seat posts and forks.  They help absorb a considerable amount of vibration.  

Good luck in your search!

Chad

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/4/09 10:00 am - Fort Worth, TX
What ^ he said.... Except... I am 6'2" and ride a 56CM... I am a lerp though.. long torso and short legs.... Best to get fitted for a bike.... Just because you get fitted at a shop does not mean you have to buy from the shop.....I started on a road bike and had a great transition (no pun intended) to a tri bike. Good luck bro.... I would deff be spinning at the gym with clipless shoes though to get used to the feel of pull / push
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 5/4/09 12:10 pm - Port Huron, MI
Great advice given above by Chad, Dan, and Scott -- I'd HIGHLY advise starting out with a road bike.  Comfort is key and I absolutely LOVE my new tri bike, BUT I will still use my road bike quite a bit.  There is a great handling difference between a road/tri bike and right now I don't think there's any chance I'd try a group ride or any kind of drafting with anyone on my tri.  Now that may get significantly better as I get more used to my bike but I really understand the 'no aero's on group rides' thing.
I just think especially if you're looking for a less expensive bike you'll get more bang for your buck and also more use if you go road.
I'm 6'4 and riding on a 60" tri and I believe a 61" road.
--Dan 
mcarthur01
on 5/4/09 10:40 pm - Cumming, GA
Many thanks gents, I appreciate your insights...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 5/6/09 8:52 am
Here is a  video from beginner triathlete on road vs. tri bikes

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?art icleid=1659

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 5/6/09 11:26 am - Dacula, GA
Your georgia buddy here!

I would avoid all3 sports in roswell. They're a good shop, but will try to sell you high end stuff.

There's a new tri shop in stone mountain, tri your best.

I bought my Orbea Ora Ultegra at Atlanta Cycling in Vinings...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roswell bikes is also a good place to look.

Most Active