Philadelphia Broad Street 10 Miler

Rob S.
on 5/3/09 6:23 am - DE
It was a rainy day but I completed my second Broad Street Run.  My time was a little off from last year because I wrenched my knee running on Saturday.   But I completed it.  The streets were filled with spectators despite the rain.  I was soaked at the end, but felt good.

This race has gotten too big.  There were 26,200 entrants (up 3,000 fom last year).  We picked up our numbers on Saturday at the expo.  I got a great bamboo running shirt!  I recommend it to everyone.

Sunday we spent a long time waiting to park.  A long time waiting on the subway to get to the start.  A long time waiting in line for the porta-potties.  And a long time finding a good pace.  At the end, I spent a long time getting through the throngs of people who stop right after crossing the finish .line.  Then a long time walking through the tent area.  And then it took two hours to get out of the parking lot.  Despite the rant (I'm not very patient person) I love the race.

We decided that next year we'll get a hotel room the night before, close to the Navy yard so we don't have to worry about transportation.  It would definitely make the event much more enjoyable.

Mext 10-miler is Sea Isle City.  Have to another marathon to do this year.
Rob
Elisa K.
on 5/3/09 6:29 am - Lumberton, NJ
I completed my  first Broad Street Run.  I didn't know what to expect, but I had a blast!  The crowds were so much fun!!  

Cassie W.
on 5/3/09 8:25 am
Congratulations to both of you!  I can't get over the size of the race.   I'd love to see Broad Street from the air with all those folks streaming towards the finish. 

Rob, I'll have to check out the bamboo shirts.  I'm always looking for new running gear to add to my collection.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 5/3/09 10:05 am - DE

Here is the link:  www.footprintbamboo.com

Here is what they say about bamboo clothing:
Bamboo clothing is said to be softer than cotton, with a texture more like that of silk or cashmere. Bamboo clothing also absorbs moisture quickly. It actually draws moisture away from your skin, so it’s perfect for summer months or warmer climates, as well as for vigorous activities such as playing sports, bush walking, running, cycling etc. Pure bamboo clothes also dry in about half the time as cotton clothing. Bamboo clothes are perfect to wear all year round - they’ll keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Give them a buzz.  The woman told me they hit a lot of the shows (better value).  I'm planning on trying out the socks next.

levittown_loser
on 5/3/09 12:35 pm, edited 5/3/09 12:36 pm - Levittown, PA
Wow Rob ... I had a totally opposite experience!   Got there and got great parking right near the Broad and Pattison Subway station.   Caught a train within a few minutes ... it was an express to the race.    :)

It was really a great time.  No issues BESIDE THE RAIN!    I didn't mind the rain while running but I was soaked and freezing after the race walking back to the car.

Here's a link to a bunch of pictures!   I ran with a fellow DS patient and friend Georgann :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13822&id=1576399815&l=cfe4f21e61

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Hawgman
on 5/3/09 11:33 pm - TX
Congratulations to all of you.

Keep fighting the fight!!!
MacMadame
on 5/4/09 10:19 am - Northern, CA
Congratulations! I'm so impressed you can do 10 miles... both of you!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active