Weekend wrap up - everyone!

Scott William
on 5/2/09 11:47 pm
I didn't see any threads for weekend workouts so here is one and I will throw in a quick race report from yesterday.

I may hit the gym today for some core work and some stretching.  I love to stretch at the gym.  I do a much better job there than at home.  Yesterday, I got in an intense 3.5 mile run in a race in New London, CT.

Yesterdays race report:

L+M Hospital Spring Stride - 3.5 mile 700 pre-registered and I think 300 same day registered.

I like this race because is an odd distance and I can't really compare it with a 5K as far as time is concerned.  There is no pressure to run a great time.  Of course, I still try to bust it out.

The course itself is also set up to run a nice time.  The first mile is a very slight decline.  The second mile is flat and the last 1.5 is slightly up as you return on the same road you started on. 

With the shape I am in (getting a little better with more consistant running and speed work) I set my goal at 30 minutes.  About 200 meters into the race two ladies next to me got tangled up and went down.  I stopped and made a barrier so everyone had to go around.  That took about ten seconds until they were clear.  (that will come into play later).  I hit the first mile at 8:30 exactly.  That was right on.  The second mile I always lose focus and I did again with a mile time of 8:45.  I am not sure about the third mile but you can see the finish line for about the 3/4 mile and that is a pretty good incentive.

The time clock was small so by the time I could see it, I was at 29:45 and I knew that I had farther to go than that to break 30 min.  I crossed the line at 30:09.  Those damn fallers cost me my goal.  :)  Actually, I was very happy with the race for a few reasons.  Over the last 1.5 miles I must have passed about 50 people and was passed by 2.  I ran a pretty steady race intensity wise and I finished very close to where I thought I would.   I placed 129  out of 486 whereas two years ago I ran it in 27:59 and finished 119 out of 541. 

I will get back to my good running shape and I can't wait.

How was your weekend?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Sherry_Berry
on 5/3/09 12:31 am - Dacula, GA
Hey! This is a bit off-topic, but I'll be in CT for the Rev3 tri next month! www.rev3tri.com

You should come!
mcarthur01
on 5/3/09 5:08 am - Cumming, GA
great report. I am signing up for my first 5K on memorial day in Alpharetta, GA, should be fun.  I'm hoping to finish with a 10 min or sub 10 min mile pace.

I had a good day today started the workout with 32 minutes of weights (chest and tri), 32 minutes of stairmaster, then jogged 4 miles outside with some hills at a pace of just over 11 min miles, then wrapped up with a 1/2 mile in the pool.  The 4 miles is a personal best for me, as i'm trying to move my base up to 5 miles (from 3) prior to starting to race in 5K's and tri's later this summer.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Elisa K.
on 5/3/09 6:13 am - Lumberton, NJ
I did the Broad Street Run in Philly today.  The weather sucked, but it was a fun race.  The crowds were great!  My friends surprised me at mile 9  - I can't believe they came out in the rain to cheer me on!  My official time was 2:02:02.  I wanted to finish in under 2 hours, but that is a cool time - LOL!! 
Cassie W.
on 5/3/09 8:37 am
Saturday was an easy 4.6 mile run with my training group.  They're doing very well and I'm certain they'll be ready for the 15K in July.

Sunday was my last long run before my marathon. It wasn't pretty, but I finished the 18-miler.  I had gastric issues and found it difficult to refuel without causing repeat bouts. So, the first 15 miles I averaged 10:30 before I slowed to a crawl.  

Cassie

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MacMadame
on 5/4/09 10:03 am - Northern, CA
Sat. ran for 45 min. and then walked the rest to get in 6.1 miles. (Ran about 3.5). Sunday I took it easy and just did a triathlon.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active