Can exercise cause weight gain, initially?

Jupiter6
on 5/3/09 7:17 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I know, on the surface it seems like a stupid question...but hear me out!

I'm 21 months post op. I lost from 368 pounds to 150.6 doing regular but fairly light exercise-- mostly just being more active, but then doing free weights for 1 hour a week, nautilus for 40 minutes, and walking 3-4 miles a week.

I ate the same amount (1300 calories-- 40% protein, 35% carbs) for the last 5 months.
-------------------

About three weeks ago, I bumped up the exercise. I started walking 2-3 miles a day (instead of weekly-- and faster-- over 3 mph) and being very very busy physical all the time-- shopping, cleaning, etc. I did not increase my intake.

I figured this might jump start the last few pounds I'd like to move before plastics...but the long and short of that is that I gained 7 pounds in the first 9 days of my new exercise routines. I have literally never gained a pound before- always lost. I did increase my fluids some.

I did have a little constipation issue but all's moving now.

Is there any reason increasing exercise might have that effec****er retention in muscles? My edema has been *****in', I must say-- rings not fitting, etc.

Ideas?

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

sablouwho
on 5/3/09 7:34 am - La La Land, CA
Hi Shari~

I don't know about the exercise but I did have a thought for you and I wanted to post it as soon as it came into my head so I didn't forget it.

Basically, I am wondering if maybe your issue could be some sort of hormonal/endocrine thing? I don't mean "that time of the month" but perhaps a change in your body.

Just a thought. Sorry that I can't comment on the exercise as I don't know.

Thinking of you...
~Cindy  

Watch my first appearance on
The Doctors TV Show   (aired Dec 2008)
Plastics done by Siamak Agha, MD (lower body lift/spiral thigh lift) in Dec 2009, breast 

Cynthia's Lower Body Lift procedure by Dr. Siamak Agha
 this includes footage from my first and second appearance on The Doctors as well as footage of my actual surgery

Jupiter6
on 5/3/09 7:57 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Dunno-- too soon to know, but it's very very odd.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

playwithzoe
on 5/4/09 1:35 am

You can gain weight from exercise due to water gain as you suspect.  When you use the glycogen in your muscles, and your body needs to replace it and to heal any torn muscle (which is what happens when you lift heavy weights in order to increase the muscle mass) you will hold on to more water initially (some thing  like this anyway I may not be explaining it just right).  I often notice a 1-2 lb gain after strenuous workouts.  A 7lb gain seems a little much however but it sounds like you are retaining fluid.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 5/4/09 9:59 am - Northern, CA
Well you can't gain 7 pounds of fat in 9 days unless you over-ate by 2722 calories every day.

So I'm guessing it's water weight...

I lost 5 lb. from Friday morning to Monday morning doing my triathlon. I'm pretty sure that's mostly water too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Scott William
on 5/4/09 10:47 pm
What you explained is not consistant with what I have found but I gain about 10 lbs every time I train for a marathon.  I attribute most of the gain to my body needing more fuel and not knowing when enough is enough.  3 weeks seems a bit quick though for that.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active