Secret to winning your age group

saxman007
on 5/2/09 12:31 am, edited 5/2/09 12:33 am - Port Huron, MI
 Discovered the secret to winning your age group at a local 5K -- do a small event, lol!!!  As the title says, I just managed to win my age group -- not sure how many were in the group, I know I beat at least the runner up ;)  So yeah, set a PR and I felt ok.  Time they announced was 25:36, time on my Garmin is 25:50.  My goal was to get under 26 so that was good.  When we started I was with the front pack but felt good. On my Garmin I saw I was doing around a 6:30 mile and my heart rate was about 170 so I knew to back off and pace better.  I tried to hang on 3 high schoolers and managed to come in about 15-20 seconds after them.    
So -- I accomplished my goal, didn't get lost (there were only 50 people running and I wasn't familiar with the course), and can now say that I've podiumed at a race
Now it's time to do some yard work and hopefully get a swim in later today when it's supposed to rain
--Dan
Seht
on 5/2/09 9:31 am
woo hoo, congrats on the podium finish and the PR.
It sounds like a great day.
Awesome job hanging with those high school kids.  It sounds like you had a good time and were in control of your race.

I once managed a 3rd place finish in a tri, but there were only 3 people in my group.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

victoria R.
on 5/3/09 11:56 am - goose creek, SC
Dan
Awesome job!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Hawgman
on 5/3/09 11:38 pm - TX
Way to go Dan!!

Darrell
MacMadame
on 5/4/09 10:02 am - Northern, CA
Congratulations!

Your time sounds awesome to me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active