When you workout to the point of muscle soreness can that make you retain fluid?

playwithzoe
on 4/24/09 9:24 am, edited 4/24/09 9:25 am
I seem to gain a pound or two the day following an intense workout and my muscles are very sore.  Just wondering if you retain more water due to glycogen something or other.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 4/24/09 5:20 pm - Northern, CA
Yep!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 4/26/09 2:06 am, edited 4/26/09 3:23 am
AH HA!

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

JeremyGentles
on 4/25/09 7:59 am - Johnson City, TN
Anywhere inflammation occurs, fluid follows. So yeah, you will retain some fluid when you are sore after an intense training session. This is not bad thing though.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

playwithzoe
on 4/26/09 2:07 am
No, not bad, good to know!

JeremyGentles
on 4/26/09 2:11 am - Johnson City, TN
Well, it is not bad as long as you are not getting sore every time you train. If you are just starting a training program you will certainly get sore but your goal should not be "to get sore" each time you train. Soreness does not always = progress.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

playwithzoe
on 4/26/09 2:41 am

Well I've been training for about 2.5 months now after taking an 8 month hiatus pre VSG and a few months post.    My weight loss has been slow IMO and I am currently unemployed so I decided to hit the gym hard to jump start the weight loss and also to keep my sanity.  I've increased my calories a little so that I’d have the energy to do these workouts but only to on average 1000 cals a day and my net calories with what I burn is way low.  Regardless my weight loss has not accelerated which is frustrating.

I've been doing high intensity interval sprinting and high intensity circuit training with weights.  I always get at least a little soreness.  My weight training I do with a personal trainer and we go for a half hour and after 5 min warm up I am doing multi large muscle functional movements (not always but usually) with weights for 25 minutes and my heart rate is in the anaerobic and max zones.  This is my idea as I have read you can get lean fast doing this type of workout in a shorter period of time.  Either the same day or the next day I will do interval sprinting for 30-35 minutes, a min on a min off,  some times higher intensity and shorter intervals/over all time, and again my heart rate will be in my anaerobic and max zones (between 150 -177).  And trust me I am not running too fast, usually between 6.0-7.0 on the treadmill during my sprints then back down to 3.0-3.5 during rests.  I do the weight circuit training 2x a week and the sprinting 2-3x a week.  I also will do a steady tempo run at least once a week (although at even a 13 minute mile my heart rate quickly gets to and stays in the anaerobic and max zones) and a step class or Zumba class and usually a 3rd day of weight training in a Pilates Reformer class or a Body Pump class.  In addition I try to get a day or two of gentle Yoga (Hatha) in as well.

Do you think I'm over doing it and that is slowing my weight loss?  It doesn't make sense that it would.  I don't know what to make of my heart rate.  I can only get it lower if I walk but I must walk a long time or up hill in order to get it into the aerobic zone.  It seems either its way high or too low.  It does come down quickly.

Sorry for the long story but if you have any advice I'd love to hear it.

playwithzoe
on 4/26/09 2:56 am, edited 4/26/09 3:14 am

Oh never mind my previous long post I looked back at your “recent posts" and found a lot of information.  It still doesn't make logical sense to me that if  I burn so many calories I wouldn't lose faster but I am indeed exercising for many more important reasons than simply losing pounds.  And according to the hand held %of  body fat measurement device my trainer uses at the gym I have gone from 36% body fat when I started to train to 32% now.  Not even close to where I want to be but going in the right direction.  I also lost about 13 pounds in that 2.5 months. 

MacMadame
on 4/26/09 6:04 am - Northern, CA
About your HR when running.... I had the same thing when I started. But now I can run a long time and not go over 160. It just took time.

But I don't do interval training in the run more than once a week. I do one long run and one interval session.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 4/26/09 1:42 pm
Yeah, I've always had a higher than normal heart rate when I exercised and I have been a runner forever.  For some reason it is just really hard for me.  I did manage to finish the San Francisco Marathon in 1998 but it took 6 hours.  I never seem to get much under a 11 minute mile and I am working real hard running at that pace, and my heart rate, by the 2nd have of a run in the 170s.  Right now I'm running 12-13 minute miles and my heart rate can get that high.  I am hoping with doing the interval training it will eventually come down some.

Most Active