Joined Planet Fitness....

Ready4 AChange
on 4/21/09 7:40 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Not actually joined...my daughter received a 3 month free trial so I am using it. I like the fact that if I get out to the gym I make more of an effort to do something. I have been doing the treadmill at about 2.3-3 for about 10 to 15 minutes to "warm up" then go to the machines. After that I go back to the treadmill for about another 20 - 30 minutes before I head home.  I am trying to do this at least three times a week, depending on if I am babysitting my grand daughter. I will try to go more often if possible.

Ok ....fitness people....am I starting out at a nice pace or should I reduce/increase what I am doing ? I have found out that when I am on the treadmill my ankles seem to "burn" when I walk. Kind of feels like they are starting to swell. 

Thanks for any input.
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Seht
on 4/21/09 8:56 am
Way to go.  Congrats on making use of that membership.

It's hard to tell you if you need to increase or decrease.  How do you feel after your workout.
Can you do more, could you do more without causing yourself real pain or discomfort.  The kind of pain associated with an injury.  An injury is the quickest way to keep yourself from making a habbit out of this activity.

If you are having problems with your ankles, have you tried a different exercise machine.  Perhaps the elliptical or a bicycle.

There is nothing wrong with starting out where you are right now.  If it is too easy for you increase it gradually.  There are a few ways for you to increase the workout.  You can add some elevation to the treadmill, or you can increase the speed, or increase the duration.  It doesn't have to be an all or nothing experience.  You can alternate your speed and incline during the same exercise routine.  Do a minute at 3.5 then take it back down to the 2.3 for a couple minutes.  If everything feels good, take it back up to the 3.5. 

Make your increases gradual and give yourself time and a chance to succeed.  Before you know it you will be asking about running races, then longer races, cycling or swimming events or triathlons.  It really is a great feeling of accomplishment to even be exercising.  Every advancement is just extra topping.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Ready4 AChange
on 4/22/09 12:00 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Thanks for the info. I'll try upping the speed a little more on the treadmill when I go next ( hopefully today ) I haven't even tried getting on the bike or elliptical yet. After I am done I feel pretty good but I have arthritis in my back, hips so I try not to over do it . I am increasing the weight on the machines slowly . My biggest pain is in my lower back which I am trying to strengthen . I feel o****il late at night when I am home relaxing or trying to get comfortable in bed.
I do have to admit that I do feel much better since I have been going.
Thanks for the advice
Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

victoria R.
on 4/21/09 10:27 pm - goose creek, SC
Sandy
Welcome to the board.  I don't really have anything else to add that Scott didnt cover already, just wanted to say hello & congratulations for taking the first & often the hardest steps towards a fitter you.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Ready4 AChange
on 4/22/09 12:01 am - Upper Chichester, PA
Thanks Vicki
I hope to be here a little more now that I "found" it...
Sandy

Sandy  

Most Active