Tri-clothes advice

Cassie W.
on 4/20/09 8:25 am
With all the great tri stories, I've decided to take the plunge and start training for the July 26th Irongirl in Syracuse (800 m swim, 30K bike, 5K run). 

Tell me about the things that you found were important in selecting your triathlon clothing, i.e.
- one-piece vs. two-piece; 
- all-purpose vs. sport specific;
- wet suit - full vs shortie; sleeves vs. no sleeves;
- any specific features that were musts vs. nice to have;
- favorite online stores.

Thanks.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Seht
on 4/20/09 8:43 am
Congrats, I hope you have a blast.

You can find some good deals on e-bay on new clothes.

I got some tri-shorts there.  I wear them under the wetsuit and a underarmor shirt as well.
I just strip off the wetsuit and I'm good to go.  If I'm cold I will throw a t-shirt on over the top.\
I want a 1 piece, but they are kind of expensive.  I will probaly ask for one as a birthday present this year. 

I also recently found these air activated toe warmers.  They come 2 to a package.  I put them in the toes of my biking shoes.  I had one race last year that was so cold in the water that me feet never thawed out.  It hurt so bad to try and run.  These things did a good job this weekend of warming the toes up enough to take the edge off.  They run $1.79 for a package of two.  They are supposed to last 6 hours, so if you put them in your shoes right before you head out for the swim you should be good to go.

I'm going to be looking for another hydration system for the bike.  Usually the events are so short in the sprints that I don't bother with worrying about drinking.  I just take a couple good drinks each time I'm in transition.  This time I decided to drink on the bike and I had a hell of a time getting the bottle out of the cage, drinking and getting the bottle back in.  I have seen a couple handlebar setups with a large straw, or a camelback, or I have seen a behind the seat mounted system with tubing that runs up to the rider.  Not sure what I will end up with.  I will probably try a camelback knockoff from walmart.  They are pretty cheap.  Definitely practice doing the mundane things, they make a difference.

Last year I swam in a shorty wetsuit, this year in a full.  I liked the full so much better.  I felt no restriction in my swimming, and it kept me warmer and more bouyant than the shorty.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 4/20/09 9:59 am - Missoula, MT
I'm not anywhere near comfortable enough in my body to wear a one-piece,

The outfit I had on in my pic of the Grizzly tri was tri-specific.  I wore the matching bra under the shelf-bra, compression tank (I need two bras to run in) and a swimsuit bottom under the tri shorts because I was afraid my shorts were see-through.

I got my top and bra at my local running store, but they were a little spendy.  The one feature that I like the most is the piping.  It's flat and doesn't give me rub spots under my arms.  The tri shorts I got online at performancebike.com.  I got these both last year and I've done both a half and full marathon in the tops also.  I like the race skirt as opposed to a race belt better, but I prefer the skirt to be black as opposed to the pink I have (It doesn't match the other pink I have).

Sherry uses skirtsports.com, and I've also purchased an outfit from there.  I didn't like the fit of the shorts, and I needed a size smaller bra than what I ordered, so that isn't my favorite outfit.

I don't have a wetsuit so I have no advice for you there.

Not sure if I helped any, but that's what I have and I do like them.

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/20/09 10:56 am - Fort Worth, TX
I am awaiting our beloved Sherry to drop some knowledge :)
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 4/20/09 4:27 pm - Northern, CA
I wear a sports bra and tri top and tri shorts under my wet suit. No underwear. I didn't think a one piece tri suit would work for me. I want to be able to size the top differently from the bottoms and also two pieces is easier to pee in.

I just have a one piece wet suit and it has full sleeves because I love to be WARM.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active