Ran 3 miles.... Not focused on the number....

Jessica M.
on 4/19/09 9:45 am - Midlothian, TX
Apparently, people are concerned with my addiction to the gym... Maybe not so much with the gym part, but the "perfectionist" that I have while at the gym.  I'm always focused on the numbers and doing better... I leave beating myself up it's never good enough. I learned that when I go to the gym that I am going to fail that that is the ONE place I don't have to be perfect ;)...

Today, my trainer wanted me to just run 3 miles on the treadmill and NOT to look at the time-- just to do it at my BEST which would be not walking, but just running at a constant pace. Today I did it.... I felt at first like this was a pointless thing because I would NEVER be able to jog 3 miles constantly.... 3 miles at a speed of 4.1 until the last .20 distance and finished at 5.0 speed-- time 43:11 (not focused on that).... I FINISHED it- running the entire time, no walking, paced myself so that I could do it.

Maybe it's not a big accomplishment that many of you have had, but it was a step for me....

"Winning at a Losing Game"

Seht
on 4/19/09 11:20 am
It's a great accomplishment.  Congrats on running 3 miles.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Jessica M.
on 4/19/09 11:32 am - Midlothian, TX

Scott,
Thanks!! It is a great accomplishment.... I wish that I could just enjoy the feeling that I had when I stepped off the treadmill... I was feeling on top of the world and "normal".....

Until this....

According to the BMI calculator I need to lose 40 more lbs to be "normal" BMI! How frustrating is this!! Is anyone else frustrated with what the calculators and scales and whatever else measurement tool that measures what "normal" is?

What do you do to overcome this frustration..... It just never seems enough! Maybe its just disappointment within myself....

"Winning at a Losing Game"

Seht
on 4/19/09 11:42 am
I was fixated on that as well.
It was my goal to get to 188 lbs which put me at the top of the " normal BMI range "
I made it, and I'm happy that I did.  Now I actually want to put on 12 pounds, but I want it to be muscle.  According to the charts I will be over weight, but I know it is muscle and I will be healthier for it.
So while I will be over weight, I think that my strength and ability to exercise like I want to will be greatly improved by putting on lean muscle mass.

I recently talked to the trainer at the gym.  I gave him 2 simple attainable goals that I wanted to work on.  I
Not something generic like I want to be fit.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 4/20/09 10:12 am - Missoula, MT
My BMI is right at 26, but % body fat is only around 20% (18-22 depending on the day and hydration state).  I'm not going to worry about that one little bit.  No sense in it.  Once you feel like you are fit and at a stable place, the numbers just don't seem to mean as much.
victoria R.
on 4/19/09 12:32 pm - goose creek, SC
Jessica
Congratulations, that's a big accomplishment.  I recently started running late last year & I started entering races this year & I'm totally addicted to races now.  It keeps me motivated to stay on track with my fitness.  Good luck & I hope we see you around more often.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

MacMadame
on 4/19/09 3:24 pm - Northern, CA
It's a great accomplishment. I only was able to do it myself about a month ago. So I still remember how great it feels.

One of the things I realized about myself today is that I'm a person who often is too busy rushing on to the next thing and looking at the next goal to savor my accomplishments. For example, right now I'm at a normal BMI, can run 4.5 miles without stopping and can swim a mile. But what do I focus on? I still have a spare tire. My body fat % is over 25. I'm the slowest one at the track and in the pool. I won't be able to run a half marathon by Oct. Blah, blah, blah.

So I've decided to work on that. Sounds like you are too. Good luck!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 4/20/09 10:08 am, edited 4/20/09 10:09 am - Missoula, MT
Jessica,

I remember the day I was first able to run a full 3 miles without stopping, and I agree that it is HUGE.  That's almost a 5K!  Good for you!  Every accomplishment is on the shoulders of the one previous to it, so there are many more to come!  Don't set your sights on the achievements of others, just go beyond what you were able to do last time, and celebrate anew!  That's what each and every one of us here has done.

I beat myself up a lot also, but have been working on realizing that there are only so many hours in a day, and that my schoolwork MUST take precedence over everything else.  So, my training isn't what I would like and my numbers have been better in the past.  I still get my workouts in as I can and try to focus on what I can do now rather than what I did before I was so busy.

Great job, and keep on going...

Linn
Most Active