What Gives?

Jessica M.
on 4/19/09 5:34 am - Midlothian, TX
I absolutely hate the BMI...  Thanks for your encouragment!
"Winning at a Losing Game"

Linn D.
on 4/20/09 10:24 am - Missoula, MT
This is just my opinion and take it for what it's worth.

I constantly try to remind new people to exercise that it is part of a life-long habit that we do in order to be healthy.  What I mean by that is health in terms of cardiovascular fitness (heart health), lipids, and blood glucose levels.  My primary goal for exercise is health and fitness.  I do like the challenges I give myself because they keep me motivated to keep trying to get better, stronger, faster.

I'm over 5 years out, and that remains my philosophy.  I'm maintaining at a good weight for my body and feel fit.  What more can a person ask for???

If you look at exercise as a means to an end (goal weight) then the focus tends to be on a spot other than where it is mentally healthy and it's too easy to get discouraged even when there is still progress in at least one of the areas I mentioned above.

Love and appreciate yourself for what you can do and just keep it up.  Do it because you like what you do and you'll eventually end up in a good place.

Linn
CTKathy
on 4/22/09 11:58 pm - Branford, CT
Revision on 11/13/17
I look at it this way... No one knows what your scale says.  Are you going to tell them "I used to weight x but now I weigh y"?  Probably not.  But if they're seeing you as smaller, fitter, healthier, why argue?  Do you wear your clothes with the size tag still on them?  No.  So no one knows what size you wear.  But if they compliment you, just say "thank you.  I'm getting more toned by the day and feel great!"  I know it's easier said than done.  I've been trying for a long time.  I still sometimes fall back into "well, the scale hasn't moved, but thank you anyway."  It's a daily battle and one we have to fight alone in our heads.  Hopefully it'll get easier for both of us.  I'm inspired by your dedication and results!  Please try to focus on the positive.  You've done SO well!  Good luck in your journey!

Kathy
Most Active