treadmill to pavement transition

KittenLove
on 4/15/09 4:00 am - Around Knoxville, TN
any tips for taking it outside?

Be happy. 

Seht
on 4/15/09 4:51 am
I just recently switched from treadmill to the street.
This is what I found.
It is harder on my body, but I get a more realistic idea of what you are doing.
My mile times are almost 3 minutes faster on the street than they were on the treadmill.  I think this is because I am able to open up my stride on the street, and this was limited on the treadmill.

I am able to run longer on the treadmill, but I think this is because there is a reduced effort on the treadmill.  Basically all you have to do is pick up your feet and keep moving, the treadmill is doing a good portion of the work for you.  You also don't have wind resistance on the treadmill.  Additionally you need to put some incline on the treadmill to give you a similar workout as you would get on the street.

All in all I would say my switch to the street has been beneficial.  I feel better about my runs, it is nicer to see some changing scenery and to experience the weather.  I initially resisted running on the streets and trails, I was comfortable in the gym.  I could quit whenever I wanted and wouldn't necessarily face a walk back.  You just get off the treadmill and leave.  If you take a 5 mile run and you stop half way through, you still have a walk to get back.

I also found a group of people at work that wanted to run.  You might also look for a running group.  Both of our local running stores have running groups and training groups that you can participate in.  They have several different levels from beginner to advanced.  I do enjoy running with people much more than I do by myself or on the hamster wheel at the gym.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the change.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

sheepla
on 4/15/09 11:42 pm
It's a hard transition to make, both physically and psychologically.  For me, I sometimes start the transition with a few runs on a school track before moving to actual streets. 

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

Most Active