how soon after surgery to start running?

sheepla
on 4/15/09 11:44 pm
I'm having RNY on May 20th. I am a former runner (have run four marathons) but haven't run in the past three years since I gained a lot of weight and it is hard on my joints).  I'm very active and do lots of hiking and other exercise, so am fairly fit for my size.  How soon after surgery will I realistically be able to start back slowly running?  Is a month out unrealistic?   I am going to start with the couch to 5k program.  Thanks.

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

Scott William
on 4/16/09 12:01 am
I think a month sounds pretty good.  Most say 6-8 weeks for strenuous activity but that is geared more toward lifting.  I started jogging around the month mark and worked up from there.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Markrb
on 4/16/09 1:13 am - MA
I started light runnin about a month after surgery. I was doing some running before surgery and had lost 40 lbs. I am training for my first 5K in May and have worked my way up to 4-5 mile runs. I'm 9 weeks out now and feeling great.

Best of luck with your surgery.
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

MacMadame
on 4/16/09 1:58 am - Northern, CA
I agree that a month sounds right. I think you'll know. You'll want everything to feel healed up enough that you can bounce around and not feel it in your gut.

The Couch-to-5K program is awesome, btw.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 4/16/09 2:25 pm - Missoula, MT
Hate to be the bearer of not so wonderful news, but I had gall bladder surgery and tried to run too soon after.  I'd been running for 4-5 months and it was still pretty painful a month out and it was laproscopic also.  I think you'd be better off giving it 6 weeks.  Walk briskly, yes, but be careful with the running.  Hernias still happen with lap surgeries.

Linn
Most Active