So excited

MaryS
on 4/15/09 10:30 pm - Long Island, NY
I am so excited about my new undertaking in the world of exercise. I am joining some of you that are already doing this - I will be coaching a team for a 5k race. It is an 8 week training program and the first coaching session is 4/25 and the race in 6/20. This is part of the Momentun Walk-It challenge sponsored by Weigh****chers and Active.com.

Any tips from those of you who are coaching others?

I can't think of a better way to stay motivated about my exercise than to be in a position to motivate others!!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Hawgman
on 4/15/09 11:37 pm - TX
No words advise.  I think you will do great.  Just keep them motivated.

Mary, you are an inspiration!

Darrell
Scott William
on 4/16/09 12:12 am
Way to go Mary!  I had a feeling that you were looking for another way to motivate yourself.  This will be great. 

There was a girl who I coached in the discus throw once.  She was okay but my philosophy was to take the progression to the full throw very slowly.  We got to the last week of the season and we had finally gotten her to throw using the full spin.  Her technique was great.  I was kind of blown away and asked her why she thought she was good at.  Apparantly she was an accomplished balarina.  Well, had I asked about any special talent earlier, we could have moved along more quickly.  The point is, don't assume anything.  Ask some questions and ask the athletes if they understand the concepts that you are throwing out.  In some cases, saying something in a different way will allow the athletes to pick them up if they didn't understand the first time.
Seht
on 4/16/09 1:03 am
that's a great undertaking.
Good luck with your students.  I hope that they have much success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 4/16/09 2:00 am - Northern, CA
I'm so impressed!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 4/16/09 12:07 pm - Missoula, MT

That's very cool Mary!

Have a great time.  I don't have any advice though, mostly because I don't listen very well!

Linn

Rob S.
on 4/16/09 11:15 pm - DE
You'll do great.  You have already inspired so many of us.
Rob
Cassie W.
on 4/17/09 7:34 pm
Congratulations Mary,

You will be a fantastic coach and find the experience so rewarding.  When I started coaching my 15K group, I tried to follow in the footsteps of the woman who ran the group before me because I thought she was very effective in getting people excited and engaged.

She worked hard to learn everyone's name and a little bit about each one of us.  She sent out encouraging e-mails once a week with links to beginner stories on Runners World.  She also provided the group with a phone/address directory of the participants to help us find a partner to run with during the week. 

Enjoy your new adventure!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

victoria R.
on 4/21/09 10:32 pm - goose creek, SC
Mary
That is wonderful, you are actually one of the very first people from this board who inspired me when I was a lurker.  This will be a great venture for you.  Keep us updated.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Most Active