could I ever

Ehill30
on 4/14/09 6:28 am - Sacramento, CA
 Do you think that anyone could train and work at it and be able to complete a triathalon?  I want to like exercise, I have a desire to like exercise I am just not there yet.  How do you go from the lazy mentality that got me fat to begin with, to someone who has enough stick-to-it -ness that I am able to complete a strenuous challenge.
Seht
on 4/14/09 7:39 am
Of course you can.

As a matter of fact there are a ton of short races that happen in the Sacramento area.
There is one this weekend at Folsom lake if you are interested in seeing what they look like and what to expect.  You will see people of all ages and abilities who are out there just trying to complete a triathlon.  The environment is very encouraging and the people are great.

check out tbf racing http://www.tbfracing.com/ they put on a lot of races in the Sac area.
You can even volunteer at one of their events and get a sizeable discount to attend another one of their events.

Myself and Macmadame are running the race this weekend at Folsom lake.
I think she is doing the longer course and I am doing the short course.

Check out fleet feet stores also, the local store in Santa Rosa, offers beginning running classes that are done in a group setting.  They also have an all womens group as well.  They offer structured training, nutrition, and injury prevention classes as part of the training.  I don't know if Sac has the same thing, but It would be worth looking into..

You might also look for a triathlon group you could train with.
Here is just one of them, there may be more. http://sactriclub.com/

Good luck,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 4/14/09 8:58 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Well Ehill30 I can sum it up with the quote that I put on the back of my race jersey...

"Anything is possible if you just TRI!" <-- Pending trademark of Team 464 :)  Heh heh.

You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to.  It may not be easy but it's the goals that are the most difficult that reap the greatest rewards when you complete them. 

Best of luck on your journey!

Chad

Ehill30
on 4/14/09 10:18 am - Sacramento, CA
 Thank you both for the encouragement.  I need to start researching a plan.  I am pretty good about following instructions I just dont know where to start.

I guess I should really introduce myself  My name is Liz I am a mom of two and I am looking forward to embracing all tis new life has to offer me.    Hopefully I can stick around a bit and learn from everyone ekse

saxman007
on 4/14/09 11:38 am - Port Huron, MI
 Hey Liz,
Welcome to the board!!  I started by reading everyone else's posts about their race reports and wondered if I could get to that level.  The people on here inspired me to work for my first marathon last fall and I am currently training for my first season on triathlons.  
There are plans out there I'm sure if you googled a little bit you'd find some stuff out there.  I'm using a combination of what's in my books and where I need the extra time (in the pool/running/biking).
Most important thing I'd say is SIGN-UP for a race.  Once you register it forces you to get going and make it happen.
Keep reading everyone's race reports and know there's lots of wise and experienced people here to give advice and lend socks as needed
--Dan
MacMadame
on 4/14/09 4:07 pm - Northern, CA
Yes, you definitely can. If I can, anyone can!

I just think about it all differently now. First of all, I love triathlon training. So I think of it has having fun and not "working out". Secondly, it's a sport where you don't need a lot of physical talent and speed to have fun. I'm the slowest in my triathlon club in almost everything. But I have just as much fun as everyone else. I have my goals and they have theirs and they are impressed by my hard work just as much as I am impressed by them.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sherry_Berry
on 4/14/09 7:57 pm - Dacula, GA
heck yes!

If I can do a tri, anyone can.

Check out local tri clubs in your area, the support is amazing!
victoria R.
on 4/15/09 1:12 am - goose creek, SC

Yes it's possible.  I completed my first sprint tri last month & as of this year I've completed several races including 2 half marathons.  I  have been working out for several years but I was in a big rut and needed something to work towards besides the hopes of fitting into a size 10 jeans.  So I essentially started this madness last November & it's been great, signing up for events is key motivation for me to stay on track with my training.  I'm not in my size 10 jeans yet but I'm closer than I was when I started & have gained more confidence in general.  So find an event, sign up & get going!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 4/15/09 3:55 pm - Missoula, MT
Find a plan, club, group of people you know who do them and get some swimming instruction and you'll have a great time!

Tri's are fun!  I'm still a better runner than anything else, but I like the challenge.

Go for it!

Linn
Most Active