Team 464 at the Ironman 70.3 World Championships

kypdurran
on 4/13/09 4:03 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey guys.   My "big secret" was that, as of a few moments ago, I officially accepted a media slot to be a featured athlete at the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in November.  

I got the news on Friday that I have been not-so-patiently waiting for over 7 months.   The WTC media director (WTC owns the Ironman brand and produces the Ironman World Championship and Ironman 70.3 World Championship among other races) called me in response to my media packet that I sent them in November. She gave me news that was both amazing and upsetting at the same time.   As many of you know, completing my first Ironman will be the defining moment when I can declare that I have won my WAR against obesity. Up to now I have won many battles but the war rages on.  Some battles have been small like being able to bend over and tie my shoes and some large like completing my first Ironman sanctioned 70.3 race.     My journey to Ironman would have to unfortunately be put on hold but more on that in a moment...  

The GREAT and amazing news is that I was invited to be one of the three Ironman media athletes to participate in the Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater in November.   If you watched the event yesterday on NBC, my story will be one of the inspirational stories that will be included in the 2010 broadcast.  Team Hoyt, Brian Boyle and Ricky James were the 3 slots from last year's race and they were featured this year.

My dream to do Kona as my first course and even my registration for IM Florida this year will be put on hold.   I cannot discuss the reason that I am not going to Kona this year because I've been sworn to secrecy but after I can tell you it will all make sense in the upcoming months when they reveal details about the race this year.   I was a shoe-in for the slot for Kona but the final reason was not up to Ironman.   Can't say more but seriously when I can talk about it I promise it will be crystal.   So, I will not be an Ironman this year and emotionally that has been very difficult for me as I made the decision over the weekend about what I was going to do.   There was never any doubt on if I was going to do the Ironman 70.3 World Champion****   It is an HONOR to be chosen for that venue and to have my story told to the world on NBC next year.  I can only hope to bring more awareness to the obesity epidemic in the world and to give inspiration and hope to many that are / were in our plight.   My 'war' will be extended for another year as I fight the final battle at IMCDA in 2010. I called my coach close to a dozen times over the weekend trying to get him to reconsider letting me doing Kentucky, Canada or Arizona.   (Ironman is letting me move my Ironman Florida registration to whatever race I choose and IMCDA is my choice for next year.)

For now, I will be doing my level best to prepare myself for Clearwater.   I want to do everyone proud by pulling off a 5:30 race at the Ironman 70.3 Championship so I'm going to concentrate all my efforts into training for it. My coach has his work cut out for me to reach that goal but I have no doubt that I'll attain it.   It's ON!  The Ironman 70.3 World Championships better prepare itself for Team 464!

Seht
on 4/13/09 4:25 am
Very exciting news!

Congrats on being chosen. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 4/13/09 7:28 am
Chad, this is just amazing news.  I am so happy for you and proud of you for using all that you've achieved to inspire others.  Team 464 is truly a force to be reckoned with. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Sherry_Berry
on 4/13/09 9:50 am - Dacula, GA
I really think you can get a 5:30 if you figure out nutrition.

Since I'm so gosh darn cute/smart/hormonal...and an EXCELLENT guesser...this is what Chad's NOT allowed to tell us:

Chad will be featured on NEXT year's IM Kona!
kypdurran
on 4/13/09 11:38 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Sherry I wi**** was the case.   I'm really, really not going to Kona.   I wish I was.   It was heartbreaking that I have to wait another year to get my Ironman but the doors that opened up for me Friday / today make the wait even better.  It's like fine wine I guess and in the end it's all about the journey anyway isn't it?   I'll cross over at IMCDA in 2010.   Kona in 2010 or beyond is still out there but for now, 2009 is not gonna happen.  

I am officially an Ironman Media Athlete as of 12:17PM today though and as such will be one of the feature inspirational stories for the Ironman 70.3 Championships in Clearwater in November.   I threw down the 5:30 goal to the media director today too.  I wanna make my family, friends, Ironman and everyone else proud and reach that goal.   Gonna stick to the plan and get it DONE!  :)

saxman007
on 4/13/09 11:06 am - Port Huron, MI
 Hey Chad,
That's truly great news!  Sherry, I hope that's true 2009 70.3 2010 Kona (here's hoping for you at least)
I'm guessing I'm gonna like this triathlon thing, weird to be doing so much work for something I haven't even tried yet.  Trying to figure out if I want to try an Ironman next year or not and which one to do.  Maybe IMCDA is the way to go, an OH get together and kick some a$$ as a group would be very cool.
Proud and excited for you man, can't wait to read the race reports and see the story NBC does on you!
--Dan
DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/13/09 2:10 pm - Fort Worth, TX
CDA??? You are outta your mind! Well, it will deff be a challenge... Nothing like trial by fire . No matter how tough it is, you can do it bro.... Keep training hard.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

victoria R.
on 4/13/09 12:51 pm - goose creek, SC
Chad
This is great news, I'm so proud of your accomplishments & to say I know someone who is famous :)  Can't wait to hear more about your training, races, nutrition.  You are such an inspiration to myself & many others.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/13/09 2:09 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Way to go buddy! You are da man! That's great news bro, so happy for you. I need to work my butt off for Buffalo Springs and see if I can qualify for a Clyde's spot at Clearwater. You must be on cloud nine my brutha. Stay healthy, train strong, keep on truckin bug daddy....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 4/13/09 7:48 pm - Dacula, GA
I'm thinking of kicking a$$ in 2011 back on the IMFL course! LOVE LOVE LOVE that race!

Perfect for first timers!

It would be awesome if we can pull off an Ironman team. We can get cute little (snort I mean aggressive-looking MANLY) tri suits made.

I can't do an M-dot 140.6 in 2010. Too much $, logistics an I'll have a tiny bambino.

2011 makes more sense for me.
Most Active