Swimmers: Wetsuit Advice

saxman007
on 4/10/09 8:03 am - Port Huron, MI
It's only been about a month and I'm definitely no fish in the water but I'm not so overwhelmed anymore!! 
Going to be purchasing a wetsuit probably in a month or so and putting together some options.  Do have a couple of questions for you guys:
I've been working on my kick -- man I hate kick drills but they're working, anyways how close to a pull bouy does the extra bouyancy give you?  
Second what are you guys using and what are the pros/cons that led you to your choice?
Third, and I know about safety on this one but I'm still gonna ask it: I imagine most of my open water swims will be solo.  How hard is it to zip up the wetsuit without some help from someone?  Is it even possible?  I'll be doing a parallel to the coast swim and can probably do it at least once a week once the weather gets better.
Lastly, what are your thoughts on the DeSotto wetsuits?  The two piece concept is really appealing to me but the closest dealer is at least a 5 hour drive (to Toronto)
Thanks!
--Dan
Sherry_Berry
on 4/10/09 11:37 am - Dacula, GA
I have a desoto first wave and LOVE IT!

Why?

I'm 2 different sizes! My bottom is their size 5 and my top their 3. You can't find that in a single suit!!!

I can get it on and off easily.

There are some suits, like Zoot, that has a tricky zipper.

Swimming alone? Can you at least get a babysitter to watch you from the shore?

DeSoto has the BESTEST customer service. They're easy to work with and quick! Some azz broke my wetsuit at Ironman Lake Placid while stipping me. Desoto fixed it quickly w/no charge!
MacMadame
on 4/10/09 2:48 pm - Northern, CA
I don't know how they pull bouys work but I know in my wet suit I have absolutely no problems with sinking in the water. I love it!

I have an Orca Sonar. I bought it because I needed a wet suit fast (my plans to rent fell apart at the last minute) and it was within my budget and fit. I found out later that, because I bought last year's model on sale, I got an intermediate level suit. It would have been too expensive if I'd bought this year's model. So I'm happy. I just hope it still fits (I've lost weight since the last time I wore it).

I usually end up getting someone to zip me up but I bet I could do it myself, if I really, really had to. If you go some place where other people are (which is a good idea), you can impose on the kindness of strangers though.

No experience with DeSoto.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kypdurran
on 4/10/09 9:20 pm - Baton Rouge, LA
I have a Xterra Vector Pro X2 and it's good to go.  I started out in a dive suit and that sucked beause I had no rotation in my arms.   They have pretty much everything at 50% off right now too.   http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/shop-xterra/index.php?cPath=26
Sherry_Berry
on 4/10/09 10:09 pm - Dacula, GA
Please note...as stated...you want a TRIATHLON wetsuit...not a diving one!!!
Most Active