Anyone change their mind??

quintons_mommy200

on 4/8/09 12:55 pm
I'm scheduled for lap band surgery on May 20th. I'll be a self pay and it's costing me around 18000 plus interest on my care credit card.

I've lost almost 32 pounds in 3 months and with the help of protein shakes, have finally discovered that dieting doesn't have to mean starving...

So.. what I'm looking for are people who were going to have WLS and didn't but have lost their weight on their own.. or people who lost a lot of weight without surgery at all who can help me sort out my feelings about this whole thing. I'm feeling like I can do it on my own at this point but I want to be sure I'm not letting my fear and my hesitation on spending the money make up my mind.

I currently weight about 310, down from 343.5 in January...

Thanks!

MacMadame
on 4/8/09 3:23 pm - Northern, CA
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are listening to your fears. Only because you aren't the first person to say this and most of them end up back here on OH a year later fatter than they started and sorry they didn't get surgery.

The way I look at is that I didn't have WLS to lose weight. I can do that just fine on a diet. I had it to *keep it off*. I've been dieting since I was 13 and have never been able to keep it off before. I didn't see any reason why this time would be different.

Btw, you should be able to get your surgery cheaper, if money is a big issue. I live in a very expensive part of the country and my surgeon only charges about 14,000 for a band. There are parts of the country where it's only 12,000 as well.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 4/9/09 5:54 am
I agree, most of us were/are expert weight losers.
The problem lies in our abilities to keep it off.

I had to lose 20% of my body weight before the surgeon would do the surgery.  That meant I needed to lose over 80 pounds pre-surgery.  I contemplated cancelling for about a micro second.  Then I realized that I had never been successful doing it on my own before, I had lost large amounts of weight in the past, only to gain them back with interest.

Ultimately it is your decision, and you should do what you feel is right for you.
The surgery is not a magic bullet.  But what it does is it gives you a fighting headstart.

Best wishes with your decision and health.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active