Move like a fat man

Nic M
on 4/10/09 4:51 am
Dan, don't you agree with me that Scott should get some tights and a tutu and take ballet?  OK, maybe that's a little over the top, but I agree totally with you about the Latin culture and dance. When I was in South Beach Miami, I noticed that people even walk like they dance... all swingy in the hips and graceful.

I took Modern Dance classes (my parents were trying to make me 'graceful'!) back when I was a pre teen. I ithink it really did help somewhat with learning to move in a different way. Unfortunately, the bulk of the class focused on doing a horrible dance routine to the Star Wars theme song! I think I spent more time trying to de-wedgify myself! 

Nicci
Jce3g
on 4/9/09 10:47 am - MI
I know one of the problems I have with running is just letting go.  When we were bigger we naturally over compensated during activities.  I would always hold back to make sure I had enough to make it to the end.  This would cause me to shuffle my feet and not stride out because I was trying to save energy.  Lately I have been conscience of letting my stride stretch out and just go for it.  I have found after a minute or two my heart rate would come down and I could maintain the speed for a while.  My goal on training runs now is not to simply finish but try to spend myself so that I am tired when I am done.  For a while there I would run and be frustrated because I would finish and feel like I still had a lot left in the tank.

Just my .02

Jason

MUSTREAD

Linn D.
on 4/12/09 3:31 am - Missoula, MT
I know it's been forever since I've been on here, but this is my advice to you...

You're relatively tall, right?  I have suggested to you that running faster is a good idea.  This is another thing I think you could do.  Do you remember being a child and running?  I think it would help you let go if you did some sprints.  I do mean all out sprinting for 50 or 100 yards/meters.  It seems to me that you need to feel your body do this so you can be comfortable letting go.  That's when you'll start to feel like it might be a more fluid experience.

I know I'm wierd, but I really think this might help.  You absolutely have to let go to sprint.

Linn
Most Active