First half marathon

Hawgman
on 4/8/09 11:43 pm - TX
I am running my first half marathon on Saturday.  Any words of advice?

Pace?  What and when to eat before the marathon?

Thanks.

Darrell
kypdurran
on 4/8/09 11:53 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Darrell.   First, best of luck on your race.    You've been training for it so just stick to your training plan and you'll do fine. 

The best advice I can give you is to start out slow and go faster as the race goes on.  It's normal to want to start out fast with the excitement of racing, but try to resist the urge to do so and your body will thank you later on in the race.  

As far as eating, don't eat anything too heavy the night before and definitely not the morning of the race.   The best thing you can do to carbo load is to do that TONITE!  Pasta or rice or whatever you plan to use.  Same thing with sleep.  Be sure to get a straight 8 tonite because, if you are like me, you'll have trouble sleeping the night before the race.  

You're gonna do great and looking forward to reading your race report.

Best of luck!

Chad

Seht
on 4/9/09 1:16 am
No suggestions, just wanted to wish you the best of luck.
I hope you have a great day.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

victoria R.
on 4/9/09 3:50 am - goose creek, SC

Alright Darrell your 1st half, warning they can be addicting:) the only other advice I would add is just enjoy the day.  Can't wait for your report. Best of luck to you.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

puddin2day
on 4/9/09 5:23 am - Los Angeles, CA
Darrell,

You have already recieved a good dose of advice already.  Don't do anything that different that you have done in training. 
Good luck to you on your first half.  Cannot wait to read the report.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active