Santa Anita Derby Day 5K -2009

puddin2day
on 4/7/09 8:45 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone,

I am running regularly again.  This past Saturday, I ran the Santa Anita Derby Day 5K.  The race started at 8 am and it was a chilly morning.  I drank some coffee, took some pictures and talked with friends up until 7:55.  I made sure this time that I had my asthma pump with me. 
After the mayor had spoken, the starting horn went off.
It had taken a few minutes for all of the runners  to get moving.  My friends had taken off , but I eventually caught up with one friend after the first mile.  Just like I had a pacer for the the Pasadena Half, I had an opportunity to pace my friend.  I was happy to pay it forward.  I told her that I had dropped my running time to 30 seconds because I had not ran regularly in 5 months.  She did not mind at all.  A few feet before  we entered the tunnel to enter the race track, (mile 2.5) there was a photographer to the left of the road. He was saying that my friend was catching up with me and that I had better hurry up.  I told him that I wanted her to catch up, she was my friend. 
We talked a lot during the run-- especially about running.  We were telling each other what races we had ran, how we liked them and what races we wanted to do this year.
At some point, my left ankle and right hip was hurting.  All I could do was keep going.  I have to add that there were quite a few declines on the course.  I remembered what Liz told me during the Pasadena Half.  Let gravity move your feet, just put one foot in front of the other, no upper body movements.  When the pain got to be too bad, I walked a couple of intervals.  By the time
the race was over, it was a sunny Spring day.  I finished by getting 2 -16 oz. cups of beer.  I don't like beer, but is sure tastes good after a run!

Here are my stats:
Place: 1578; Division Place: 129; Female Place: 763; Time: 51:11, Pace 16:28

I did not get a PR.

Last year's stats:
Place: 1608; Division Place: 133; Female Place: 766; Time: 50;36

I hope you enjoyed reading this report.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

victoria R.
on 4/7/09 12:34 pm - goose creek, SC
Great job & you're right about paying it forward :)  I am helping a friend get started & I told her I would pace her anytime she was ready for her first 5k.  Can't wait to hear your next report.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

puddin2day
on 4/8/09 1:21 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thank you, Vicki.

Seht
on 4/8/09 12:53 am
Congrats on the completion of another race.  Good work.

Keep the race reports coming.  I really like reading everyones success stories.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

puddin2day
on 4/8/09 1:22 am - Los Angeles, CA
Scott,

Thank you for the congrats.  I like to read the success stories also.

Kim

Most Active