Looking for the running guru's

fooseberry
on 4/5/09 11:39 am - E Falmouth, MA
I have heart rate questions-
I started the Couch to 5k program last year and was happy with the results unfortunately I dropped off when my husband lost his job and I had to have 2.
On a better note I got back to it this year and am up to running 2 miles 3 times a week and am planning on running in my 1st 5K of the year on May 2nd.
I was lucky enough to find a heart monitor I could afford so I have been tinkering with it.
The problem is now I think I may have too much info. I am frequently running out of my target heart rate and can't figure out how to get it down. I was able to get it below by walking but the point is I want to be running.
I have a route I like as it is changing and has some hills but that sometimes brings my heart rate to between 150-160. I am a 36yo female so I think I should be between 92 and 147. The heart monitor is telling me that out of a 25 minute run I am out of range for approximately 18 minutes.
1. How do I get this down? Will it improve the more I condition?
2. What will happen to me if I continue to run out of range?  I want to get these last 20 lbs off and I think I need to be in the "zone" to be burning fat not sugar. Is that correct?
Any info is appreciated. I have looked on the web but I feel overwhelmed with all the options and I am not an Olympic runner by any stretch - Just want the normal guy view.
Thanks
Post op -306
Current - 189
Goal - 171
Come to my Blog and say Hello!      http://fooseberrypie.blogspot.com/
Fooseberry Pie
playwithzoe
on 4/5/09 1:21 pm, edited 4/5/09 1:21 pm

I have the same issue as you do.  If I run, my heart rate goes above the aerobic zone and much higher than the fat burning zone.  At one point I was really concerned and started doing a lot or research.  What I learned is that the more intense your workout the more fat and calories you will burn.  It is totally fine to be working out in your anaerobic zone and even your max zones for bursts.  You should do interval sprints as part of your running program as it will help you increase your speed.  During those all out sprints your heart rate should shoot up into probably your max zone (85%+).  You might take a look at http://programsreview.info/detail.php?pub=MAXWORKOUT

It's a training program not for running really but for burning fat and it explains well the High Intensity Interval & Circuit Training practices.  The guy basically has taken a bunch of research and designed a training program around it that will burn fat.  Even though you might not be interested in his specific training program it will ease your mind about working out in the higher heart rate zones.  In any case, I've been a runner on and off for 25 years, I even ran a marathon, and my heart rate goes above aerobic zones after a mile.  I've had stress tests and have been told by numerous docs and trainers that I'm fine.  Not only that, the newer science shows that higher intensity training burns more fat.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

fooseberry
on 4/5/09 1:25 pm - E Falmouth, MA
Thanks I will look into that link.
I am happy to report my recovery from the runs is quick and I have no other problems to report so I plan on continuing on my plan until I hear otherwise.
Thanks again
Post op -306
Current - 189
Goal - 171
Come to my Blog and say Hello!      http://fooseberrypie.blogspot.com/
Fooseberry Pie
MacMadame
on 4/5/09 1:40 pm - Northern, CA
We were posting at the same time!

Btw, the Couch-to-5K program is based on interval training principles. That's why it works so well IMO.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/5/09 1:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
You need  to build your base mileage! Yes, with training, your heart rate will go down, it takes time. Stay in your target heart rate zones, that's where fat will be burned and your base will be increased. Working out in Anaerobic zones will burn carbs (Glycogen) not fat.... It's important to do interval work out of target rate zones, but right now you need to build your base in the lower target zones.... You have to go slower now to run faster later. 3 months ago I ran my 1st 26.2 mile marathon 11 months post-op in 4:53:17, last month just a couple months after my first marathon, and finished more than 30 minutes faster in way tougher conditions and with a way more challenging course. Good luck...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 4/5/09 1:38 pm, edited 4/5/09 1:52 pm - Northern, CA
The whole "Fat-burning Zone" thing is a misunderstanding of the science behind what happens when we work out.

Now, you do burn a higher % of fat when your heart rate is in the lower zone BUT you burn more calories in the higher zone and the extra calories means, in the end, you create a higher calorie deficit. When your body rebalances your energy stores, you'll burn the fat then.

It's always better to burn more calories if your goal is weight loss. If your goal is fitness, then knowledgeable training in different heart rate zones can help, but that means knowing how much to spend in each zone and when and why not just always staying in the "fat burning" zone.

So to answer your questions:

1. Don't worry about getting it down except to keep out of the red zone. And, yes, it will improve as you run more.

2. It depends. You do want to spend time in different zones. But that's about improving fitness, not about maximizing weight loss.

I used the Couch-to-5K program with no HRM and now I can run 4 miles. If I'd stopped running every time my HR went over a certain number (and the standard formula isn't completely inaccurate for me so I'd have been stopping way too soon), I'd never have gotten that far.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 4/5/09 3:20 pm
I finally had to turn the alert portion off on my heart rate monitor.  It was always going off and I could never get it inbetween my alerts.
Either I was running too slow and not getting the heart rate up, or I was running too fast and it was yelling at me about that.  I have yet to find the pace that keeps the monitor from beeping at me.  So I turn the alerts off for now.  I still track the info just to see if I am making any progress, but I have a training plan and that's what I am working on right now.  Build my mileage up, reduce the number of walk breaks I need.  Once I can reach my goal, then I will go back and work on fine tuning my running.

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 4/5/09 7:52 pm - Dacula, GA
Did you get your heart rate info from that formula of 220-age or from a professional test?

With that said, the formula is a generalization. I have an estimated max HR of 213...which puts the formula WAY off. My LT is about 180 on the run.

My normal running zone is in the 160s.

With that said there are field tests you can do to help determine your running zones. You'll need to repeat them as you get fitter.
Most Active