Keeping the momentum....

KittenLove
on 4/1/09 1:07 am - Around Knoxville, TN
This is my first time posting on this forum but you all always seem to have good advice! I'm training for my first 5K and although my muscles and stuff don't tire, I find that my energy seems to drop after the initial 3/4 of a mile or so...i've read about sport beans on here? Any other suggestions for keeping it going?

Be happy. 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/1/09 1:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
You do not need sports beans after 3/4 of a mile. Sports beans and gu's probably don't need to be consumed unless you are moving for more than about an hour... Many people don't even need them for up to half marathons. They help replenish your Glycogen stores which your body uses for fuel. I would recommend eating a banana or some form of carbohydrate before your race / workout, and most importantly to eat carbs after your workouts as well so your glycogen stores will be topped off and you will have great energy in store for your next workout. Good luck, and great job on the lifestyle change!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

victoria R.
on 4/1/09 3:27 am - goose creek, SC
Hi & welcome.  When I started running I would have the same problem but it was more of my mind telling me to quit instead of my body.  I had to struggle with this & still do because I was never able to run before because I hated it  & partly because I didnt know how to do it.  I have been blessed to have a trainer *****ally worked with me on my early runs helping me push to get thru them, after I was able to run the full 5k I started adding a mile or 2 to each of my  weekly scheduled long runs always pacing myself but adding distance.  When is your 5k?  I always have at leas 1/2 a banana before I run for fuel & I don't use any sport beans or gels unless I'm  running over an hour or so.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Most Active