more deadly than marathons

Seht
on 3/29/09 8:22 am

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 3/29/09 8:41 am - Port Huron, MI
 You've got to die from something.  Pre-op I thought my weight would lead to my death, now I guess it's my new sport!!!  Oh well, I'll at least have a smile on my face
MacMadame
on 3/29/09 11:16 am, edited 3/29/09 11:16 am - Northern, CA
Good lord, that article makes it sound like people are enticing other people to their deaths by strong-arming them into signing up for triathlons.

Btw, 15 out of a million is a 0.000015 chance of death.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 3/29/09 12:27 pm
yeah it must have been a slow news day.

I had read a previous article about it, nothing new here.  Just thought I would share it.
I think that most people just don't think of runners and athletes keeling over doing something that is supposed to be healthy for them.

It's not going to stop me.  People die doing lots of other things too.  I'd like to see the death rate involving sex.  You know that wouldn't cause people to stop doing it.  I'd guarantee more people probably choke to death eating each year than die in triathlons or marathons, but nobody is going to skip a meal over it.

Scott

kypdurran
on 3/30/09 12:42 am - Baton Rouge, LA

If it's your time, it's your time.  

Someone posted that on my tri-club board.   I'm sure that a study could be done of people that drown after falling asleep in their bathtub as well.   I know that number will be higher than the number of triathletes that die racing. 

The long term benefits of weight loss surgery outweighed the risks too.   That didn't stop us from making the step and taking control of our lives.   I would be so bold to make that same comparison to triathon.   The benefits and well being that one gains from long term fitness while training and participating in endurance sports FAR outweigh those of living a sedentary lifestyle.

Yeah, it must have been a really slow news day.  :)

victoria R.
on 3/30/09 4:20 am - goose creek, SC
Hey
I just read that in yesterday's paper this morning.  I can't believe my mom hasnt called me over this article yet, my new active lifestyle worries her but that's just my mom :)

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Seht
on 3/30/09 4:24 am
Yeah, my next triathlon is on the 19th of next month.
My wife and I joke about her coming so that she can identify the body if anything happens in the swim (it's deffinately my worst permorance)  I tell her that they body mark you so that they can identify me if anything happens.

She wasn't planning to come to the race on the 19th, but after that article, she may be coming to watch.

Scott

saxman007
on 3/30/09 11:30 am - Port Huron, MI
 That's the spirit -- "hey honey, I may die in this race, want to come watch?" LOL!! I love it Scott, can't wait to hear you're report from the 19th, go kick some but
--Dan
Most Active