The unintentional taper for Ironman New Orleans...

kypdurran
on 3/30/09 2:18 am - Baton Rouge, LA

The first-annual Ironman New Orleans 70.3 is this weekend.   This will be my 23rd triathlon and I can honestly say that the difference between this race and the other 22 is that for the first time I feel READY and PREPARED.   I've dabbled close to this distance before last year at Tri-America (1.24 mi swim / 40 mile bike / 10 mile run) with disasterous results.    Disasterous in the fact that I finished last...  and with one sock.  :)  

So what about a taper?  I have no choice but to do so now...  While doing a practice swim in Lake Pontchartrain on Saturday I slashed my foot open on a razor sharp oyster shell while entering the water.   The other three idiots and I had no business getting in the water.  The 20 mph wind was producing waves that were crashing on top and over the seawall.   As I stood on the second step contemplating trying to swim under such adverse conditions the lake made up my mind for me as a big ass wave swept me into the drink.  The lake which skirts the whole of New Orleans isn't known for it's cleanliness so you can imagine my look of disgust as I stared down at the bloody gash on the bottom of my foot shortly after exiting the water.   Thankfully the cut wasn't very deep and only required a Tetanus shot, 3 stitches and a heavy dose of antibiotics.  

My coach has me tapering this week anyway so maybe the injury was a blessing in disguise because now I have no choice but to taper.  The doc says the inside will be healed by Wednesday and I can start running again.  He also assured me that it will not be an issue for the race.   Honestly I don't care if it is an issue.   I'll be finishing with a bloody stump if I have to.   :)

Chad
www.team464.com

Seht
on 3/30/09 2:23 am
Sorry you had a forced taper.  But i'm looking forward to reading the race report.

Good luck Chad.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/30/09 2:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
NIIICE! Dude that blows! Well, enjoy the taper... you are going to tear it up. If I wasn't having our kid this week I would be down cheering you on buddy. Rest up and can't wait to read your report....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Hawgman
on 3/30/09 2:55 am - TX
Good luck on your race.  Finishing on a "bloody stump" you go dude!!
victoria R.
on 3/30/09 4:14 am - goose creek, SC
Chad
Sorry about your cut but better now than on race day.  My good friend cut her foot on a shell exiting the water from her IM but it didnt stop her.  Get the rest & relaxation you need & deserve.  I can't wait to hear your report.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Sherry_Berry
on 3/30/09 7:29 am - Dacula, GA
Sorry about your foot. Ive heard bad things about that sea wall!

Ok...aside from that-listen to your coach. If he was going to have you taper-then taper. I know you want to do the best for you. If you weren't hurt, what would you be doing different from what your coach said?

I didn't taper for Ironman Lake Placid. My coach didn't taper me, but I wish he did. I didn't peak for AZ b/c of my accident-so I was on forced rest. I would've had a massive PR if I were able to stick to the plan. I say stick to the plan cuz it's always your facebook mantra.

Anyhoo-I'll be cheering for you this weekend. Look out for the Atlanta Tri Club. Some of my peeps are racing. Don't forget to remind them how much I rock!
saxman007
on 3/30/09 12:03 pm - Port Huron, MI
 From one sock to bloody stump, you always have amazing finish line photo ops!
Sucks about the foot but you're gonna tear it up at the race.  Enjoy the taper and get yourself psyched for the race!
--Dan
saxman007
on 3/30/09 12:03 pm - Port Huron, MI
 From one sock to bloody stump, you always have amazing finish line photo ops!
Sucks about the foot but you're gonna tear it up at the race.  Enjoy the taper and get yourself psyched for the race!
--Dan
MacMadame
on 3/30/09 2:12 pm - Northern, CA
Sorry about your foot. Tapering is hard, though, isn't it?!

Do I want to know the details of the one sock finish or is this another TMI story?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sherry_Berry
on 3/30/09 8:33 pm - Dacula, GA
I think it went something like he FORGOT a sock and ran w/only one.

A lot of us bike without socks-I always go barefoot.
Most Active