Sport Beans

Hawgman
on 3/30/09 12:52 am - TX
OK guys and girls.  Tell me how you RNY folks are able to handle the 19 grams of sugar in these things.

I would like to have something while I'm out on my long runs, but I am scared of all the sugar.
Seht
on 3/30/09 2:03 am
they don't bother me at all.
For me it's the quantity/volume of how much I am eating that bugs me.  That little package of sports beans, or the shot block and gels don't bug me at all.  Now if I ate 2-3 bags of them at once, I might have an issue.

You can always buy one and try it.  Certainly much in advance of your race.  Or look for a substitue.
I used to like those little containers of peanut butter that come in the military M.R.E.  Kind of like having a gel pack.

http://www.theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html

They carry them. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 3/30/09 2:17 am - Lumberton, NJ
I've been using the shots on my long runs.  I'm not sure of the exact brand, but I got them at Vitamin Shoppe.  They had a few different brands and flavors - most of them under 10 grams of sugar.  I tried the gummies, but I had a hard time running, chewing, and breathing at the same time
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/30/09 2:30 am - Fort Worth, TX
You are only 5 months post-op or so, so you might still dump pretty good! I used the Cliff Shot Blocks for a while. They have a bit of sugar, but it is not Refined Sugar, it is evaporated Cane Juice, which should not make you dump. I wanted to try sports beans before my last marathon, so in my training, I ran 6 loops around my neighborhood and ate a couple packs to see if the made me sick... If they did, I coud abort the run and head back home to be miserable. Luckily, no dumping, and in my marathon last month, I ate 5 packs during the race, no problems at all, and I did not hit "The Wall", unlike my marathon a few months back without them. I am a big fan of the beans, but test em out before you try them in a race, like you should with anything new in your nutrition plan. Good luck....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 3/30/09 3:35 am
For me, I found that I could eat 3 beans every other mile.  Any more and I was in trouble.  It's all trial and error.  Bring TP for the errors.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

saxman007
on 3/30/09 11:44 am - Port Huron, MI
 Same results here: no problems eating the sport beans.  When I run over 10 miles I like to bring regular gatorade  + sport beans or gels.  Up to 10 miles or 30 miles on the bike I find G2 to be enough sugar to keep me going.  
Somebody (I believe dX) told me that while we're in the middle of an intense workout our body uses and absorbs calories different.  Give it a try and like others have said, just stay somewhat close to home so you can do a quick abort in case of dumping.  
As you get into 1/2 marathons and longer events nutrition becomes an issue, but it's an issue for everyone not just us RNYers
Good luck
--Dan
MacMadame
on 3/30/09 2:22 pm - Northern, CA
"but it's an issue for everyone not just us RNYers"

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure this one out. I read the advice giving to normos and they say things like "have a normal breakfast of 400 calories and maybe a banana closer to the race start" and I'm thinking 400 calories? a whole banana? Maybe some day I'll be able to eat that much, but not 3 weeks from now.

I'm trying to find something to mix in my water bottle that has *some* protein along with the carbs (because my body seems do to better on a mixture than on pure carbs). I tried Recoverite but it tasted *horrible*.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active