is it possible to be an overweight runner?

HyperCello
on 3/26/09 7:47 pm
 ok, i know that question sounds odd.  someone on here mentioned googling "couch to 5K", so i did, and i'm very interested in it.  i walk every year in the 10k thanksgiving day race in cincinnati, and it would be so cool if i could run/jog some of it.  i weigh 250, and wls is no where in sight yet.  is it possible for me to start up this program?  is there anyone out there that started jogging/running at 250 pounds?  any advice?  thanks!!  
 ~Michelle--Just starting out the journey to a new me

mcarthur01
on 3/27/09 1:37 am - Cumming, GA
I weigh over 280 lbs and ran 2 miles today... anything is possible, but make sure you work your way into training first and not bite off more than you can chew too fast.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

MacMadame
on 3/27/09 6:35 am - Northern, CA
I am reading a book called "Shape Up with the Slow, Fat Triathlete". She is 250 pounds and did 6 triathlons and a marathon last year. So it can be done.

Everyone who runs needs to worry about joint stress. If you go to a good running store, they will do a fitting on you (have you run on a treadmill, etc. and analyze your gait) to get you into good shoes that work for you. This will help a lot with pain issues.

The other thing is to start slow and back off if you have problems with your knees, hips or feet. It took me 12 weeks to get through the 9 week Couch-to-5K program, for example.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Scott William
on 3/28/09 4:32 am
I ran a 3 mile race this morning at about 270 lbs in 25:10. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
HyperCello
on 3/28/09 9:17 pm
 thank you for your responses!  i know i need to start off slowly--i do have weak ankles and knees.  it's nice to know that it can be done though.  thank you so much!  
 ~Michelle--Just starting out the journey to a new me

Most Active