New to this forum - need cycle training advice

Dan T.
on 3/27/09 3:09 am - Logan, UT
Ok I didn't realize there was an exercise forum -

I am new to exercise period.  I recently started riding my stationary bike for longer distances.  2 days ago I rode 25 miles for 90 mins.  I now have the goal to participate in the Tour de Scottsdale on October 4th.  It is a 70 mile track that circumvents around the McDowell Mountains in Scottsdale AZ.  I need training advice, and I need gear advice.

With that I need to add some caveats. 

I am dirt broke with 7 kids.  I currently do not own a bicycle other than my stationary bike.  It is a nice bike with magnetic resistance.  So I need advice on how to train on that until I can by a used outdoor bike. 

Next I need advice on what kind of bicycle I should purchase for the upcoming event and future events.  Let me just say I don't intend to win but I don't need a bike that isn't total crap and I will probably be buying used off craigslist so I will need a range of ideas to choose from. 

Lastly once I am able to break into the outdoors how should my training change?  I live in a very urban area and so long distance riding will be aways from the house. 

On the exercise bike I was able to ride the first 60 mins at 17+ miles an hour with the resistance set to 2 (it maxes at 10).  The last 30 mins I slowed to 15.5 to 16 miles and hour and that was a lot due to the fact that my butt was killing me.  I would like to work up to more speed and higher resistance.  Do I need to concentrate on long distance rides more on the exercise bike or do I build up strength and speed first doing shorter distances at higher speeds and higher resistances?  also I own a smith machine so I can do weight training as well - you can add that to my list of advice.

thanks in advance and I will be lurking and posting on this forum more often
Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/27/09 8:03 am - Fort Worth, TX
Welocme!!! My brother lives in Gilbert, is training for Ironman, and rides the roads of Mesa / Gilbert everyday. Before you go buy a bike, get fitted so you at least know what size to buy. As for the brand of bike.... Total personal preference. Ask 10 people what the best bike is, but if you are like the 2 other Dan's that frequent this board, a bike by any other name than Felt, is just a bike! There are lot's of great bikes out there. I would recommend finding a bike that has descent wheels, preferably Carbon, but aluminum will do, I would recommend getting a bike with no lower grouping than Shimano 105... Ultegra would be sweet! When you are going for longer rides, comfort is key. Ride with cycling shorts, the padding will relieve the hind-parts!!!! Work on proper form, work on staying within your proper heart rate zones, and mix your training between speed / interval work / and climbing. Your best bet would be to get a bike as soon as possible, get comfortable on it, and start building up your base. You should be able to find a descent deal on a bike for under $1,000... if you look real hard, you might be able to find something for the $500 range... Go on Craigslist, there are tons of bikes for sale in Pheonix / Mesa area. Good luck and again, welcome....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Dan T.
on 3/31/09 1:30 am - Logan, UT
Small world!  I graduated from Gilbert High in 91.  Thanks for the advice on the bike and training.  Yes I need to get some kind of padding and soon.

Unfortunately your advice is what I thought it would be - expensive.  I will not have that much $ to spend on any equipment for a long time.  I will keep my eyes peeled for any great deals though and keep my hopes alive.
Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

saxman007
on 3/27/09 1:03 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Dan had good advice.  I just got a new carbon fiber Felt and man do I love that bike.  That said I've got my old Trek aluminum bike I'll still be using for my group rides.  The main differences between carbon/aluminum are weight and the carbon bikes are a little smoother on the road.  If you go the craig's list/used route (and I wouldn't hesitate) read up and learn about the materials.  Carbon is extremely strong BUT can be fragile if hit wrong/damaged.  Don't be afraid to ask somebody or take it to a bike shop to have them look over the frame to ensure there is no damage.
Good luck and welcome to the forum -- lots of inspiring people hang out here!
--Dan
Mifiremedic
on 3/28/09 5:57 am - MI
Dan T.

Well, just to be different, I ride a Cervelo, and enjoy it. haha..

Here is my suggestion, go to a good bike shop in your area, and tell them what you want to do with the bike. If theyre are like any bike shop around here, they will show you all different types and priced bikes. From there you will know what to look for as well as the right size.

Heck, they might even have a deal for you that you cant turn down.

Just my 2 cents worth from a Cervelo rider, no where near the stud as the other Dans..

Good luck, and glad you joined this family.

Curt
Most Active