got the mile time down

Seht
on 3/24/09 5:35 am
I ran another mile yesterday with the intention of improving my time.  I'm still slow, but I took 30 seconds off my time.

I decided i'm just lazy and don't like to work in my discomfort zone.
at 1/2 mile I was wanting to quit.  I still have a cold and it's hard to breathe, but beyond that I just wanted to quit.  I wasn't hurting, everything was o.k. and the time was really good.  I told myself that the first 1/2 mile went by so quick I could surely jog the second 1/2 mile.

I was listening to a pod cast on the age grouper web site.  It was an interview with Olympic Gold Medalist Kristin Armstrong.  She had a couple things she asks of herself and or her friends.
1.  Am I going as hard as I can, or is it possible to hurt more, do I have anything left to give.
2.  I'm going to paraphrase, How do you know when you have hit the wall (can't give any more) if you are always trying to keep from hitting it.  She said that you need to have hit the wall at some point to know what you can or can't do in the future.  This came from telling her friends "I think you can give a little more", and they responded I don't think so, I don't want to bonk and hit the wall.  She asked them have you ever done that?  They responded no.  Her next question was "then how do you know you don't have more to give."

That is me, I am always stopping when I get tired.  I'm not done, I'm not spent, I'm just tired and ready to quit.  I'm going to see if I can use this when i'm running from now on.

Do you have to quit, or do you just want to quit?

My initial goal was 10 minute miles, which is a huge step from the 12 minute miles I had been logging in the gym.  Last week I had a 9:45 mile and yesterday I finished it in 9:15

So now that I have 1 mile down under 10 minutes, my goal will be to get up to a 5k at that pace.

Today is an interval day,
1/4 mile warm up walk
3/4 mile run
1/2 mile walk
3/4 mile run
cool down

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 3/24/09 6:52 am
Congratulations Scott!  You just demolished that wall!

When I started running, the coordinator of the running program gave our class similar advice.  When your mind has you thinking that you're done, it's time to do the physical checklist from head to toe.  Once you convince the mind that the body is on board, you're golden.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Jce3g
on 3/24/09 8:04 am, edited 3/24/09 8:04 am - MI
Scott

I am in the same boat.  When on a long run I always start slow wanting to make sure I have enough for the end.  By the time I cross the point where I know I am going to finish I speed up but I do not have enough milage yet to make up for the slow start.  Then when I am done I still have some in the tank.  I want to run hard and long and be completely spent when I am done. 

BTW the AGE GROUPER is quickly becoming one of my favorite podcast.  Podcast are all Iisten to when I run.  I need to talk to keep my mind occupied and off of what I am doing.  Now cycling is different.  My mind never gets bored with that.

Jason

MUSTREAD

Most Active