I'm too dumb for my HRM

MacMadame
on 3/23/09 3:08 pm - Northern, CA
I bought a HRM off Buy.com because I couldn't pass up the deal. It's a Reebok "Precision Trainer XT". I've gotten it to show me the correct time and to record my resting heart rate (which is a lot lower than I thought it was based on my doctor's readings).

But I'm confused on how to use it. It's go so many modes and options!

For example, it has timer and chrono. I don't really get the difference. Tomorrow, I'm doing my track workout. I want to start tracking my calories when we start working out and stop when we're done. But I also want to keep track of my heart rate so I can do the right levels of intensity for each of the sets. Plus I need to time my rests in between intervals and sets.

I'm not 100% sure the best settings to do that.

Anyone want to give me a HRM 101 class?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

saxman007
on 3/23/09 10:13 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Different HRMs handle things differently but this is my understanding (hopefully somebody will correct the errors of my way):
We have 5 HR zones:
1 50-60 % max HR
2 60-70 % max HR
3 70-80 % max HR
4 80-90 % max HR
5: 90-100 % max HR
I started with a Polar that didn't have 'zones' per say but would give me the % of maximum HR.  I've now got a Garmin and I've got it set to show where I am in the zone, not sure about the reebox one.  You may need to take a quick minute and see what the actually #'s are for you.
Most of my training tends to be in zone 3/4 with my speed work/race tempo being in zone 5.
Others I'm sure use it better but if I'm not feeling good on a run/bike I check where I am, if I'm higher than I want then I slow it down a little.  If I'm where I want to be I just suck it up and push through -- either way I've got some information to make that decision!  Also during my 5K's it helps me pace it just a little bit.  I don't want to start at 95% and fade at the end which is so easy to do in the heat of the moment.
Did it come with any computer program?  One of the reasons I got my Garmin was seeing all the data from Scott's post: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/3823498/Race-Report-Resolution-5k/#30608836
Hope it give you a couple of things to think about.
--Dan
Seht
on 3/24/09 5:18 am
I'm still trying to learn everything that the Garmin will do.
Basically what I recommend is sitting down with the instruction manual and picking 1 thing at a time and learning how to make that do what you want each and every time.

I'm just now playing with setting up my interval training sessions on the computer and uploading them to the watch.  My next step will be learning how to use the virtual partner so I can race against my past performaces.

Each watch is going to be different on the setup, so it will be hard to give you direct instructions unless you find someone with the same watch.

Good luck and have fun playing with it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 3/24/09 4:51 pm - Northern, CA
I think I've already broken it! I can't get the Chrono option to appear any more. From reading the manual, I think it's the one I need.

I used "Timer" today and it was okay but I ran out of time and had to reset it and then it lost the data from the first set.

MacMadame
on 3/25/09 2:01 am - Northern, CA
Update: I took the battery out and chrono came back.

Also, the box says it's water resistant to 30m. I assume that means I can't swim with it on???

Seht
on 3/25/09 3:15 am
I found this abou****erproof vs. water resistant

The term "waterproof" was discontinued starting in the late 1960's. This change was brought about from several government organizations, including the Federal Trade Commission in the USA, who were investigating truthfulness and accuracy of product labeling and advertising.

"Waterproof" was considered to have misrepresented the products as more capable of preventing the entry of water under normal use cir****tances than they were actually capable of. Specifically, diving-type watches never have been completely 'proof' of water entry under normal use and within the stated depth ratings. The seals that keep water out are not completely impervious and their effectiveness can be reduced over time with age, deterioration, and exposure to chemicals.

The term "water resistant" is now used to describe such watches. There are no technical differences between a waterproof watch and a water resistan****ch--they use the exact same methods and technologies to keep water out. The difference is only in what term was considered to appropriate to describe it at the time it was made.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 3/25/09 4:22 pm - Northern, CA
OKay, is that a yes or a no?

I chickened out today and didn't wear it. I read an Amazon review where they said once you change the battery, it breaks the water seal. Didn't want to chance it even though other people said it worked fine for swimming.

But I'd like to do one swim routine just to get an idea of whether the online formula is in the ballpark.

I'm starting to be sorry I didn't wait and get a better (i.e., more expensive) one. I have no way to upload to the computer and am missing some of the other fancy features that I see other people get to play with.

Most Active