numb hands when riding

Seht
on 3/23/09 2:57 am
So I thought that my hands were freezing when riding to work in the mornings, they would get to where they would be numb and I couldn't feel them.

Today I put on my ski gloves prior to riding, and I finally figured out it isn't the cold, its lack of circulation.  It seems that I am leaning on my hands so hard that I am cutting off the circulation and putting my hands to sleep.

Anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of putting another layer of grip tape on the bars, or maybe even some foam to try and cushion the ride.

It doesn't take very long for this to happen.  Maybe 2 miles or so.  By the time I got to work 4.5 miles, I literally couldn't work my hands to get my gloves off.  I had to use my teeth to pull my gloves off.  I try taking a break, lifting one of my hands off, flexing it etc.  I get circulation back, but it seems to go away again almost as soon as I grab the bars again.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/23/09 3:59 am - Fort Worth, TX
I would be interested in seeing how you are positioned on your bike. It sounds like you are puting an incredible amount of weight on your hands to have them fall asleep on you. Are you in an "Aero" position? If so, you have the Ulner Nerve that could be getting pinched around the elbow and will give you the same sensation you are describing... Kinda like your hand falls asleep, for a long time. If you are not Aero, I wonder how this is happening. Are you riding mostly up in your hoods? Or do you spend a lot of time in your Drops? The only other thing I can think of is that your seat might be just at the right length or maybe a bit too high, and your bars may be way too low, forcing you to lean over way too far and put tremendous pressure on your hands, taking away your power and energy that could be going towards your pedal strokes. I would certainly go to a local bike shop and have them fit you properly for your bike.. it should fix your problem, assuming that this is the only time you have circulation issues, which could be something way more than just positioning on a bike. Anyways, let me know what the culprit might be... I know that a lot of us don't have tons of petty cash to go to bike shops etc... so if that isn't a possibility I will find some good links for you to help you get positioned as good as possible without having to fork out some dough. Take care....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 3/23/09 4:07 am - Port Huron, MI
 Scott, 
Do you have bike gloves?  If not that might give you the extra padding that you need.  You want them on also if you ever crashed -- saved me lots of road rash when I went down.
Regardless of the gloves, my guess is you've got a fit issue going on with your bike.  I know if I don't adjust while I'm riding I'll go numb also (at least on my road bike) but 2 miles is awfully quick. 
-Dan
Seht
on 3/23/09 4:23 am
I have had the bike fitting done, I had that done right after I purchased the bike.  We actually installed a higher neck on the bike at that time so that I wouldn't have to be leaning over and putting as much stress on the arms and hands. 
I do not have aero bars.
I tend to switch between being in a drop postion and riding with my hands on
top of the bars.  More time than not I am on top of the bars.
I do have riding gloves, (2 pair actually)  My first pair are padded but are fairly thin. 
I thought that my hands were getting frozen, so my wife bought me some
thicker heavier padded gloves for Christmas, and while it takes a bit longer,
I experience the same feeling.  So today in an attempt to eliminat the cold as a
possibility, I put on some really warm, thick ski gloves. 
I ended up with the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Scott

Jce3g
on 3/23/09 11:45 am - MI
if you are positioned right on the bike then perhaps your core is not carrying enough of your weight therefore causing you to lean on the bars a lot.  When I ride I try to focus on holding on to the handle bars and not leaning on them.  In other words can you take a hand off the bars and still stay close to same position or do you have to sit up.  With this in mind I spent a lot of time this winter working my core in the gym.  So far this year on my rides I have felt the differnce, I can reach down for my water bottle and take a drink without having to sit up completly.   If you notice pro riders can drink and not untuck, I am assuming because their core is holding them up.  So to make a long story short (too late)  maybe more core work will help.

Jason

MUSTREAD

Seht
on 3/23/09 12:10 pm
I think you are right.  One of the reasons I am pushing so hard with my hands is it still feels like I have a huge stomach even though it is gone.  that is except for the skin, but when I try to tuck, it all bunches up and makes it uncomfortable so I push up with my hands to relieve that pressure.

hmm,

We'll see

panhead58fl
on 3/24/09 6:21 pm - Barboursville, WV
Have you ever been cheked for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I have had both hands done and it kind of sounds like what your describing. You may want to research it and have it checked out. Mine would go numb all the time, riding my motorcycle, driving my car or just sitting at my desk at work.  If that is what you have if it is caught early there are other options other than surgery. If you let it go to long and it keeps getting worse it can cause permanent nerve damage.

pan head
Most Active