Spinning Question????

ltlkim9424
on 3/14/09 10:25 pm - Lakeville, MN
Any spinner out there. I have only been back to spinning for a couple weeks now but when i spun before heart rate and stuff was never talked about. At My gym they put a board up before class for target heart rate which I understand ranges and stuff but my question, being 4 months out, is anaerobic okay for me since I want to aim for fat burning/cario zone??
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/15/09 3:58 am - Fort Worth, TX
Anaerobic intervals (maybe 2 -3 minutes long) will be ok, but I would suggest to stay in your target HR Zone and remain Aerobic in order to lose fat and not just burns your carbs. Those intervals will help build your cardio vascular fitness, but again burn calories and not fat. Good luck.... you are doing great!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

ltlkim9424
on 3/16/09 9:23 am - Lakeville, MN
Thanks for the info!!
bike4hunger
on 3/15/09 5:54 am
I am a spinning instructor and I encourge my students to work smart and to tailor the class to meet thier fitness goals.  If your goal is to burn fat, you really want to stay inthe 65%-80% of your MHR - going higher for long periods of time is actually counter-productive.  

Try googling topics such as aerobic base trainging for more info.
ltlkim9424
on 3/16/09 9:14 am - Lakeville, MN
Thanks!! I googled and learned some more and programed by HR monitor so i will try using it in spin class tomorrow!
MacMadame
on 3/15/09 12:52 pm - Northern, CA
My understanding is that you burn a greater percentage of fat in the "fat burning zone" but that you burn more calories in the higher zones so when your energy stores are redistributed, the total fat burned is the same.

Since burning more calories is better than less, I go as hard as I can without bonking or being in pain and ignore the target heart rates.

Besides that 220-your age formula is totally bogus. According to it, my max heart rate is 168. But it's no where near that low in actuality. I've gone over 170 at time though I mostly try to stay under 160 just so I can pace myself through my workouts.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ltlkim9424
on 3/16/09 9:23 am - Lakeville, MN
So you do what I have been doing. Thanks for the info
Richbehr
on 3/17/09 10:31 pm - North Haven, CT
RNY on 03/24/08 with
I've been spinning 2-3 days a week for the last 6 months. I try to always stay at 80% which for me is 140 ish. (220-my age 48=172 x 80%=137)

"Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave. Our birth is nothing but our death begun."

Most Active