exercising and asthma

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/09 10:36 am - McKinney, TX
Do you any of you have asthma (exercise induced or just regular asthma) that flares with exercise, especially when running in cold weather?  If so, would you mind sharing what medicines you take both daily and/or to treat the flare up?  I'm having trouble finding a good combination so that I can continue to enjoy my new found love of running without being sidelined with asthma attacks.  One doctor suggested a lose does of steroids the 5 days before a race, but sometimes I get an attack during just my normal daily running.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/14/09 3:09 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Girl... Good to see you over here!!! No asthma here, just wanted to chime in and say hey! Good luck with the asthma thing, that stinks!

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

(deactivated member)
on 3/14/09 9:20 pm - McKinney, TX
Thanks Dan!  Between you, Jenn, and Tawnya, I have been inspired and now I'm caught by the running bug.  I have done 2 races so far.  I am not able to run all of it, but I do the walk/run thing and I'm up to running about half the distance so far unless the asthma kicks in. 

I'm working with my doctor (who is still in shock that I'm even running lol) and I'm sure we can figure something out.  The warmer weather will help and hopefully my allergies won't kick in and cause the asthma to flare again. 

Either way, I am NOT giving up on it.  I finished my race yesterday while having the asthma attack lol.  Had to drive from race straight to doctor but I finished and got my shirt! lmao
puddin2day
on 3/18/09 5:15 am - Los Angeles, CA
I always take a couple puffs of Abluteol (sp) 20 to 30 mins prior to running.  I have not had any problems when I do that.  I grew out of my childhood/obesity asthma but have exercise induced asthma.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active