Carb and Exercise Question

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 1:54 am, edited 3/13/09 1:11 pm - Milwaukee, WI
MacMadame
on 3/12/09 5:23 am - Northern, CA
I've never found such a formula. There are web sites online that will tell you how many carbs to eat based on inputs, but exercise doesn't seem to be one of them, and their recommendations don't seem to be based on clinical data.

For example, one of those sites told me I should be eating 200 g of carbs a day. I don't think so!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 5:31 am - Milwaukee, WI
MacMadame
on 3/12/09 5:43 am - Northern, CA
I takes me two days to eat an entire banana. I tried eating half of one after a workout just yesterday and it didn't do it for me. I'm going to go back to my old stand-by of low-carb yogurt afterwards, I think.

I think most trainers don't really "get" WLS and a lot of their specific advice is off-base for us. But the general advice is okay. And the general advice is to eat protein before a workout and protein & carbs after. So that's what I try to do.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 6:07 am - Milwaukee, WI
saxman007
on 3/12/09 9:16 am - Port Huron, MI
 As you get farther post-op you'll probably find you develop more of a tolerance to carbs/sugars.  I've never had a problem with natural sugars especially those in fruits.  I loved fruit before surgery and I love it more since the surgery.
I'm not an expert in carbs but you do need carbs to keep your body going especially during increased exercise.  I'd suggest listening to your body, if you're finding a great deal of fatigue towards the end of your sessions you probably need to up your carbs.  On the flip side, if you're gaining weight/weight loss is slowing back off on the carbs.
Maybe this is too simplistic but its somewhat what I followed.
Good luck!
--Sax
Linn D.
on 3/12/09 10:01 am - Missoula, MT
I didn't start to add more carbs in my diet until my workouts got to be longer and more intense, but I never had this fear of them that many new post-ops have.  Until you find that your workouts suck on the second or third day in a row, you're probably fine with what you're doing.

At this point, I generally eat around 1800 calories or so a day, and I absolutely have to have a high carb something right after a workout or the one 2 days later is really bad.  I tend to work out hard enough that I have glycogen depletion, so until you're reaching that point, I can't see that you need to change anything.

All I can say is to remember that carbs aren't the enemy.  They aren't the reason we get obese, but certain kinds may have contributed.

Take care, and don't worry too much until you find you no longer have any energy and feel like you need to do something different.  I feel like I'm an athlete now and my needs are much different than they were at first.

Linn
Most Active