Excersise and Excess Skin

Carmen C.
on 3/11/09 12:50 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
I am doing cardio now and strength training,

Anyone else have tips and or excerises or how often to help with excess skin.

I am doing cardio/mixed with strength training w/ weights 3 times a week.

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/11/09 1:46 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Skin is an issue you will unfortunately will not be able to do anything about. You can lose fat, increase your lean muscle mass, but the skin issue is something that goes hand-in-hand with obesity and massive weight loss. Factors that will determine your severity of skin issues are age, elasticity of the skin, how much weight was lost, etc... Keep doing your excercise to get fit and healthy and stay that way, not just for physical appearence. Great job so far, keep up the hard work, and the skin issues will be taken care of down the road. Worst case scenario... you have your skin lopped off, you may have to save a bit for that, but where there's a will there's a way. Peace...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/09 1:52 am - Milwaukee, WI
At one of my weight loss support group meetings we had a plastic surgeon who talked about all the various skin reduction/lift surgeries you can have after weight loss.  She also said what Dan was saying... that no amount of exercise in the world will reduce the amount of loose skin you will have.  It all depends on age, heredity, amount of weight lost, etc. 

I'll just be happy being thin and healthy with some excess skin rather than sickly with skin full of fat.  IF I have the money though I admit I wouldn't mind a tummy tuck.  New boobs wouldn't be so bad either... haha
Linn D.
on 3/12/09 10:56 am - Missoula, MT
Just as an interesting point, I had a PS consult this afternoon.  As much as I exercise and as fit as I am, I still have a significant amount of loose skin.  I would need more than a "mini" even on my tummy.  That's just the way it goes.  I'm over 5 years post op now and 43 years old.  

Not so helpful, I know, but he did say that the exercise I do has truly helped tighten up the skin, and I can imagine that it really would be (and has been) worse without the exercise.

Linn
Most Active